Most of the information below was gleaned from War Department announcements that appeared in the Syracuse Herald-Journal. Some of the servicemen and women listed on these pages did not live in Solvay or the town of Geddes, but in neighborhoods associated more with the village than with the city of Syracuse where their homes were located. I've corrected what I believe were spelling errors, particularly in regard to names. However, I'm sure errors remain. To correct them or to add people I inadvertently overlooked, contact me at the email address at the bottom of the page. — JACK MAJOR
- N -

Mr. and Mrs. Rocco Naples of Gere's Locks, Solvay, have received word that their son, Pvt. Nick Naples, 24, was wounded in action in the Italian theater on January 31, and is believed to be convalescing in a North African hospital.

Pvt. Naples joined the Army on December 10, 1943. He completed a course as an infantry rifleman at Camp Croft, South Carolina. He was then sent to North Africa in the latter part of March.

He took part in the battle of Sicily, and while in Italy met Corp. Dominic Palladino, a neighbor also serving in the armed forces. (3/19/44)

Nicodemus "Nick" Naples died in 1995 at the age of 74. His obituary said Naples was regarded as Central New York's prince of garlic because he and his family raised garlic on their 13-acre farm in Camillus, just west of Solvay. He had worked 40 years for Malvasi and Karame Construction Company and also was a carpenter for the North Syracuse School District.

Pfc. Frank J. Nareski, son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Nareski, 100 Sixth Street, Solvay, has arrived safely somewhere overseas in the Pacific. Enlisting October 8, 1942, he received basic training at Selfridge Field, Michigan, and attended the Air Froces Technical Training School at Lincoln, Nebraska, graduating as an airplane mechanic last April 30. He then was assigned to Hunter Field, Georgia. (12/5/43)

Frank J. Nareski returned to Solvay and remained at 100 Sixth Street until he died in 1984. He retired as a lab tchnician for Carlyle Compressors, a division of Carrier Corporation, then took a job as guard at Tri-County Mall.

Brothers Joseph L. Neary and Thomas E. Neary Jr., of 112 Summit Avenue, Solvay, served in the Army. After the war Thomas E. Neary Jr. became a Roman Catholic Priest with the Diocese of Syracuse and served as an associate priest at St. Michael's on Onondaga Hill and St. Mary's in Skaneateles. He served as pastor at Our Lady Rosary in Hannibal, St. Patrick's in Jordan and Most Holy Rosary in Syracuse, from which he retired. He died in 2001 at the age of 83. He is buried at St. James Cemetery. Surviving were his brother, Joseph, and another brother, John R. Neary, of Syracuse an a sister, Mary Neary of Camillus.

John M. Nelson, 305 Orchard Road, Solvay, was inducted into the Army. (5/11/44).

Such was the brief mention in the Syracuse Herald-Journal on May 11. However, seven weeks later, on June 26, the Herald-Journal announced that John Martin Nelson, son of Colonel Ola A Nelson, U. S. Army, and Mrs. Nelson, had received an appointment to West Point, where he would be enrolled until June, 1948.

Nelson was a graduate of Christian Brothers Academy, and grew up as a resident of Syracuse. Apparently, when his father went to England in World War Two, Nelson's mother went to live with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. John J. Coughlin, at the Orchard Road address. Thus the Solvay connection.

John Nelson's brother, Second Lieutenant Thomas W. Nelson, of the signal corps. also received a West Point appointment in 1948.

Now for the unhappy ending to the story of Lieutenant John Martin Nelson: He missed seeing action in World War Two, but in 1950 was sent to Korea, after serving in Japan for a year. He was in Korea only six week as a member of the 35th infantry regiment of the 25th division when he was killed in action. Among his survivors were his wife, Mrs. Mary Virginia Doyle Nelson, and their infant daughter, Kathleen.


Seaman first class Carolyn Nicit, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Nicit of 507 Second Street, Solvay, is home on a 12-day leave from Palm Beach, Florida, where she is serving with a Spar unit in the identification division of the U. S. Coast Guard. (1/16/44)

Yeoman 3/C Carolyn Nicit, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Nicit of 507 Second Street, Solvay, is home on a 10-day leave from Miami Beach, Florida, where she is stationed with a Coast Guard unit. She has been in Miami 19 months. (2/7/45)

Frank C. Nicit, 507 Second Street, Solvay is stationed with the Army Air Force’s Training Detachment at Chillicothe Business College, Chillicothe, Missouri. (1/7/43)
A third member of the family, John J. Nicit, served in the Navy. After the war he graduated from Syracuse University and became a lawyer. He died in 2005 at the age of 81.
Pfc. Thomas J. Niebieski, Solvay, was discharged from Fort Dix, New Jersey. (12/27/45)

Niebieski retired from Crucible Steel in 1981. He received a Purple Heart during the war. He lived in Warners for several years and died in 2003 at the age of 83.

Corp. Harvey C. Nielsen, son of Mr. and Mrs. H. C. Nielsen, 312 Breakspear Road, Westvale, has been graduated from the AAF Training Command’s aircraft radio mechanics school at Truax Field, Madison, Wisconsin. (7/26/45)

Three sons of Mr. and Mrs. Louis Nitzpon, 901 Milton Avenue, are in military service. Pfc. John L. Nitzpon is an aircraft mechanic at Reno, Nevada; Pfc. Frank J. Nitzpon, who has been overseas 20 months in an infantry division, was wounded in the African campaign, but is back fighting in Italy. Pvt. Chester S, Nitzpon has just left for the armed forces, reporting at Fort Dix, New Jersey. (6/9/44)

Pvt. Chester S. Nitzpon has started airplane mechanical training at Keesler Field, Mississippi. (7/30/44)

John Louis Nitzpon died in 1987 at the age of 74, a retired carpenter. Frank J. Nitzpon worked as an assembler with General Motors. He lived in Camillus and died in 2000 at the age of 83. Chester S. Nitzpon was a radar repairman for General Electric, retiring after 29 years. He, too, remained in the Syracuse area and died in 1987 at the age of 67.

Frederick E. Noakes, 39, of 317 Hall Avenue, Solvay, re-enlisted in the U. S. Army. He served a three-year hitch in the Army Infantry from 1922-25. (7/13/42)

Because of his age and his previous experience, Frederick E. Noakes would seem to have made for an unusually interesting story. However, I am still looking for more information on him.

Pfc. Vincent Noboa, son of Jacinto Noboa of 315 First Street, Solvay, was wounded in the European Theater of Operations. (12/29/44)

Vincent Noboa was awarded the Bronze Star with oak-leaf clusters and a Purple Heart. He moved to Camillus, worked in the construction industry and died in 1997 at the age of 72.

A brother, one named after his father, also served in the Army during the war. Jacinto "Sky" Noboa also was a construction worker. He moved to Liverpool and died in 2000 at the age of 74.

Three sons of Anthony (Antonio) Noce, 308 Gertrude Avenue, Solvay, are serving in the Army. Pfc. Louis A. Noce has returned to Wendover Field, Utah, after a six-day furlough at his home. He is in the Medical Corps. Pfc. Carmine Noce is stationed at Sioux Falls, South Dakota, with the Air Corps. Corp. Alexander Noce is stationed at Page Field, Fort Myers, Florida, and also is in the Air Corps. He was recently home on a furlough. (9/1/43)
Corp. Alexander F. Noce of 308 Getrude Avenue, Solvay, is stationed with a P-47 Thunderbolt group in the European assembly area awaiting redeployment to the Pacific area. He wears the Good Conduct Medal and six battle stars. (8/14/45)

Alexander F. Noce died in 2011. He was 89. His obituary mentioned that he had fought in the Battle of the Bulge, serving with the 492nd Fighter Squadron. He was a mechanice for the West Genesee School District, married to the former Eleanor Severin. They lived in Elbridge. Apparently he was predeceased by his brothers, Louis and Carmine. I am still looking for more information on them.

Corp. Carmine S. Noce of Solvay, was given silver gunner’s wing and promoted to his present rank when he completed the flexible gunnery course for radio men at the Yuma, Arizona, Army Air Field. (1/20/44)

Corp. Carmine S. Noce, son of Mr. and Mrs. Antonio Noce, 301 First Street, Solvay, reported at the Air Force bomber base at Gulfport, Mississippi, for a course as a radio operator on a B-17 Flying Fortress. (5/13/44)

Sgt. Carmine S. Noce, 28, was promoted to his present rank from corporal in Italy. He is a radio operator-gunner in the Army Air Force. (10/16/44)

15th AAF in Italy — S/Sgt. Carmine S. Noce has been awarded the Air Medal for “meritorious achnievement while participating in aerial flight.” He is a radio operator-gunner in a B-17 Flying Fortress of the 15th Air Force, commanded by Major Gen. Nathan F. Twining, and has taken part in 15 combat missions.

Sgt. Noce, who in civilian life was a punch press operator, entered the AAF on September 28, 1942, attended gunnery school in Yuma, Arizona, and has been overseas two months. His wife, Mrs. Marion Veronica Noce, lives at the Solvay address. (10/31/44)


Pvt. Margaret M. Norton of 107 Abell Avenue, Solvay, has started training at the Fifth WAC Training Center at Camp Monticello, Arkansas. (4/14/43)

Pfc. Margaret Norton, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Roy Luce of 107 Abell Avenue, Solvay, has completed her basic training in the WAC, and following service at Camp Ruston, Louisiana, has been assigned to Minter Army Air Base at Bakersfield, California. Recently, Pfc. Norton wrote her parents, she was selected at a USO dance and introduced to all those present and later to Guy Lombardo, orchestra leader. She was also a guest recently at a dude ranch near Los Angeles. (7/4/43)


Pvt. Edward Nowakowski, 26, husband of Mrs. Ruth C. Nowakowski, 139 Bryant Avenue, and the son of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Nowakowski of 705 West Manlius Street, East Syracuse, has enlisted in the Army to take the place of his younger brother, Lieut. Arthur Nowakowski, pilot of the U. S. Army Air Force, who was killed in North Africa in June, 1943.

Prior to his enlistment on April 17, Pvt. Nowakowski was employed as an advertising salesman by the Syracuse Press. He married the former Ruth Cleary, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Cleary of 104 Ostrom Avenue, on June 3, 1939. They have two children, Patricia, 4, and Edward Jr., 3.

His brother, Alphonse Nowakowski, 30, a carpenter’s mater, third class, enlisted in the Seabees in August, 1943, and is stationed at Pearl Harbor. A former proofreader at the Syracuse Color Press, he married Sarah Florczyk, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Alexander Florczyk of 307 First Street, Solvay, on September 14, 1940. His wife resides at 307 First Street, Solvay, with their year-old daughter, Carol Ann. (4/24/44)


Syracuse Herald-Journal, May 18, 1945
John W. Nozynski, of 404 Gertrude Avenue, Solvay, was among a group of prisoners recently liberated from a German camp.

“Conditions in Germany are terrible, but I have been lucky and have kept in good health. Expect to be home some time in June.”

That was the message received by Mrs. Nellie V. Nozynski of 401 Gertrude Avenue, Solvay, from her husband, telling her he had been liberated from a German prison camp.

Lieut. Nozynski was at Moosburgh, Germany, in Stalag Luft 3 until April 29. A navigator, he entered service December 7, 1942, and went overseas May 6, 1944. He had been a prisoners for 11 months.

He has two children, Raymond, two years, and John, five months.

Lieut. Nozynski was discharged from Fort Dix, New Jersey, in August, 1945. He returned to Solvay and served as a trustee from the Second Ward for three terms. He worked for General Electric and General Motors and was a founder of the Geddes Veterans of World War II and the American Ex-Prisoners of War Inc., Syracuse chapter. He died in 1984 at the age of 65. Among his survivors were his wife, Nellie Zamojski Nozyinski; three sons, Lt. Col. Raymond J. Nozynski, then with the Air Force, John H. Nozyinski of Tampa, Florida, and Dr. Paul Nozyinski, and a daughter, Mrs. David M. Eischens.

- O -
John Patrick O’Hern, 232 Lakeside Road, Solvay, enlisted in the Navy with a rating as petty officer third class. He had served previously in the Navy. (10/18/42)

Michael A. O’Leary, second lieutenant, son of Mrs. Catherine O’Leary, 144 Freeman Avenue, Solvay, was home last weekend from Camp Edwards, Massachusetts. He was a corporal in the National Guard when called into Federal service in January, 1941. After being promoted to sergeant at Fort Benning, Georgia, he entered officer candidate school. (11/14/42)

Capt. Michael O’Leary of Solvay was recently advanced to his present rank in Italy where he is serving with the infantry of the Fifth Army.

Capt. O’Leary went overseas in September, 1943, and has been through the entire Italian campaign. He has three brothers in service and another who expects to be called soon. Sgt. Joseph O’Leary is with the ground crew of a bomber squadron in England and recently was promoted; Seaman 1/c James O’Leary is in the North Atlantic, and Seaman 1/c Patrick O’Leary is serving in the South Pacific. (6/30/44)

Sgt. Joseph T. O’Leary, 418 Rich Street, is a sheet metal mechanic at an Air Force Service Command Station in England. He is the son of Mrs. Catherine O’Leary, 144 Freeman Avenue, Solvay. His wife, Frances, lives at the Rich Street address. (9/4/44)
Patrick F. O’Leary, ship’s servicman 3/c, of 144 Freeman Avenue, Solvay, was recently promoted to his present rank while serving aboard a destroyer in the Pacific. He has seen action in Saipan, Tinian, Leyte, Okinawa and Iwo Jima. (7/9/45)
Frank J. Olech, A. R. T. 1/C, son of Mrs. Helen Olech, 1044 State Fair Boulevard, Lakeland, enjoyed a seven-day furlough, his first since his enlistment in the Navy April 14, 1942. He is an instructor stationed at Corpus Christi, Texas. (11/9/43)

Frank J. Olech served aboard the USS Intrepid during the war. He was a Chief Petty Officer with the Night Radar Squardron. He lived in Central Square, retired from Picker X-Ray where he was an X-ray engineer, and died in 2010 at the age of 89.


Mr. and Mrs. Anthony Olgeaty of 410 Second Street, Solvay, had two sons in the service:

S/Sgt. Arnold R. Olgeaty is stationed with the 27th (Tokyo Express) Infantry Division on Okinawa. (7/1/45)

S/Sgt. Arnold R. Olgeaty was discharged for Fort Dix, New Jersey. (10/8/45)
Harry R. Olgeaty, MM 2/c, is serving on a cruiser in the Southwest Pacific and participated in the sea battle of Suriago Straits where the U. S. task force devastated the large Japanese task force, paving the way for the succesful invasion of the the Philippines on Leyte Island. (12/10/44)
Charles H. O’Neil, seaman, second class, son of Mrs. Anna O’Neil, 200 Charles Avenue, Solvay, has returned to Sampson Naval Training Station after a four-day furlough, following completion of his basic training. (5/5/43)

Charles H. O'Neil died in 2011 at the age of 89, a decorated Navy veteran who had served aboard the USS Uhlmann, a Fletcher class destroyer in the Pacific Theater of Operations. He had a brother in the service:

Corp. Francis V. O’Neil, son of Mrs. Anna M. O’Neil, 200 Charles Avenue, Solvay, has returned to duty at Camp Chaffee, Arkansas, after a 10-day furlough. Before entering service last December, he was an Air-Cooled Motor Corporation employe. (7/5/43)

Mr. and Mrs. Nicholas Oriend of 1008 Milton Avenue had two sons in service:

Pfc. Joseph J. Oriend has arrived at Scott Field, Illinois, to take a course in radio. (2/6/43)

Corp. Joseph J. Oriend, now in Egypt, is a radioman in the Air Forces. (9/19/44)

Joseph Oriend retired in 1973 as an automobile salesman. Later he moved to Deerfield Beach, Florida, where he died in 2000 at the age of 79, survived by his wife of 53 years, the former Celia Cerio.

Pvt. Patsy Oriend, with the Corps of Engineers, has been awarded the soldiers medal for “heroism at Aitape, New Guinea on July 20, 1944. On patrol duty he dove into a dangerously swift river and swam to the aid of a drowning enlisted man. With the aid of another soldier and at risk of his own life he brought the drowning man to shore.” (9/19/44)
Robert A. Orzell, private, son of Mrs. J. J. Orzell, 2825 Milton Avenue, Solvay; taking a special course at the Armored Force School, Fort Knox, Kentucky. (2/7/42)
Pvt. Richard Ames Ouderkirk, son of the Rev. Charles N. Ouderkirk, 134 Freeman Avenue, Solvay, reported to Keesler Field, Mississippi, to determine his qualifications as a pre-aviation cadet. (9/3/44)

Richard Ouderkirk moved to Elbridge where he died in 1997 at the age of 71. He had retired as assistant vice president for Key Bank, Syracuse, in 1988.

For the following I have found nothing but a notice that they were inducted into the armed services:
Peter C. Obit, 215 Lamont Avenue, Solvay (Navy, 2/12/43)
John L. O'Brien, 411 Center Street, Solvay (Navy, 4/2/44)
Ronald L. Orr, 101 Hazard Street, Solvay (Army 9/5/43)
Guadenzio P. Orutti, 3145 Milton Avenue, Solvay (Navy, 2/12/43)
A | B | C | D-E | F | G | H-I | J-K | L | M | N-O | P-Q | R | S | T-V | W-Z
For more on Solvay way back when, check out
the Solvay-Geddes Historical Society