Most of the information below was gleaned from War Department announcements that appeared in the Syracuse Herald-Journal. Some servicemen and women listed on these pages did not live in Solvay or the town of Geddes, but in neighborhoods associated more with the village than with the city of Syracuse where their homes were located. I've corrected what I believe were spelling errors, particularly in regard to names. However, I'm sure errors remain. To correct them or to add people I inadvertently overlooked, contact me at the email address at the bottom of the page. — JACK MAJOR

- G -
Albert Galante, private, son of Mrs. Mary Galante, 422 Chemung Street, Solvay, has returned to Drane Field, Lakeland, Florida, after spending a furlough at home. (11/14/42)

Sgt. Peter Galante, Seaman Second Class Daniel Galante and Pfc. Albert Galante, are sons of Mrs. Michael Galante of 422 Chemung Street, in service, two of them overseas. Albert has been stationed in Africa since last December. Daniel enjoyed a furlough after completion of his basic training at Sampson Naval Training Station and is now stationed in Maryland. Peter was stationed at Iceland and now is in England. (7/1/43)

Pfc. Peter P. Galante, 422 Chemung Street, Syracuse, was discharged from Fort Dix, New Jersey. (6/23/45)

Daniel Galante died in 1986. Peter P. Galante moved to Columbus, Ohio, where he died in 1987.
Among those who were sworn into the U. S. Army yesterday at the Induction Center were twin brothers, James J. Galante, 2255 Milton Avenue, Solvay, and Henry L. Galante, 831 State Fair Boulevard, Lakeland. (9/5/43)
Henry L. Galante moved to Camillus in 1955. He retired in 1976 from General Motors Corporation. He was a volunteer with the townof Camillus Erie Canal Project in received an award from the committee for his work with school groups. He died in 1991, at the age of 72.
T/5 William Galante, 2841 Milton Avenue, Solvay, returned to New York City aboard the Queen Elizabeth. (10/10/45)
Bernard A. "Benny" Galka and Chester J. Galka were brothers from the town of Geddes who both served in the Army during World War 2. Benny Galka was a resident of Warners when he died in 1990, at the age of 70. Chester Galka lived in Lakewood. He died in 1987, also at the age of 70.
Aldo Gallauresi, 80, of 608 Scarboro Drive, Solvay, died in 1996. He was a life resident of Solvay and had retired from Allied Chemical Corporation in 1975 after 30 years as a chemical engineer there. He was a 1938 graduate of Clarkson Institute of Technology and a World War 2 veteran. Among the survivors was his wife, the former Eleanor Robeson. Also Gallauresi was the son of Joseph and Elizabeth Gallauresi, who emigrated to the United States from Italy.
Desiderio P. Gallauresi was born in Solvay and lived there most of his life before moving to Camillus, where he died in 2009, at the age of 90. Gallauresi was a chef who worked at the Hotel Syracuse, Hotel Onondaga and the Top of the Hill Restaurant in Camillus. He was an Army veteran of World War 2 and a member of the Stanley Pennock VFW Post 2893 and a past member of the Solvay Tyrol Club. His parents, both born in Italy, were John and Florence Gallauresi. In the 1940 U. S. census, Desiderio is identified as Dario.
Francisco J. Gallauresi, identified as Frank in the 1940 Census, was the brother of Desiderio Gallauresi. Francisco also moved to Camillus. He was a Navy veteran of World War 2 and he died in 2011 at the age of 85.
Marine Corp. William Gandino, son of John Gandino, 1111 Avery Avenue, and Petty Officer Third Class Joseph Micheletti, 1219 Avery Avenue, son of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Micheletti, had a reunnion while at home on furlough. Gandino came home for a 20-day furlough after being over seasons two years. Micheletti, in service a year and a half, is at sea. (6/3/44)
Angelo Garcia, 306 Center Street, Solvay, was inducted into the Army in March, 1944. He returned to Solvay and worked at Geddes Federal Savings & Loan Association, retiring in 1987 as vice president. He was a member of Solvay Tigers and Solvay-Geddes Community Youth Center, Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 2893 and Geddes Veterans. He died in 2003 at the agte of 78.
Second Lieut. Mary J. Garcia, 409 First Street, Solvay, returned to New York City aboard the Queen Elizabeth. (8/31/45)
Mary Garcia married Charles William Kilch and they lived in Ohio where she died in 1988, predeceased by her husband.
Three sons of Mr. and Mrs. John Garofalo, 611 State Fair Boulevard, Lakeland were in service — Dominic Joseph Garofalo and James Garofalo in the Marines and Thomas Garofalo in the Navy. Dominic Joseph Garofalo, a former Solvay High School student, was a machine gunner who fought at Guadalcanal.

Carmen Garzia was born in Mirabello Sannitico, Italy, but lived most of his life in and around Solvay. He had an automobile collision shop on Bridge Street that he later turned into Carmen's Restaurant. He served in the Army Air Force during World War 2 and in the years that followed was active in just about every Solvay organization you can name. He died in 2009 at the age of 85, predeceased by his wife, Adelia, and his son, Lucian. He was survived by two daughters, Anna Marie Miller and Cecilia Rose Sansone, and three grandchildren and three great-grandsons.

Joseph W. Gaworecki, 863 StateFair Boulevard, Lakeland, was inducted into the Army in February, 1943. He became a member of the Army Air Force. After the war he moved, but only a few blocks north on State Fair Boulevard. He retired in 1982 after 20 years as dog catcher for the town of Geddes. He died in 2002, at the age of 90.
Among the recent arrivals at Camp Swift, Texas, from the European theater of operations is Sgt. John Gebhardt, of 418 Chemung Street, who served overseas nine months and participated in three campaigns. He was a member of Company A of the 91st Chemical Mortar Battalion and wears the Bronze Star Medal and the ETO ribbon with three battle stars. (10/12/45)
Anthony L. Geiss was an Army veteran of World War 2. He was the meat manager at the Solvay Mid-state Big M grocery store until he retired in 1982. He died in 2008, at the age of 88, survived by his longtime companion, Laura Cavallo of Solvay, and two daughters, Constance Ives-Fenton of Albany and Joanne O'Leary of Nassau.

Syracuse Herald-Journal, May 27, 1945
Nicholas A. Gettino of Solvay has been released from a German prisoner-of-war camp.

“I am well and hope to see you about the first week in June,” wrote Lieut. Gettino to his parents, Mr. an Mrs. Samuel Gettino of 2015 Milton Avenue, Solvay.

Twice reported missing in action, Lieut. Gettino had been a prisoner since September 8, 1944. The B-24 navigator, veteran of 43 combat missions, he wears the Air Medal with three Oak Leaf Clusters, the Bronza Star and a Presidential citation.

He enlisted in the Air Corps in January, 1942, and won his commission at San Marcos, Texas, embarking for overseas duty from Topeka, Kansas, in April, 1944.

Richard N. Gettino, 2015 Milton Avenue, Solvay, received a degree as doctor of dental surgery at Marquette University, Milwaukee. Gettino is an Army trainee. (7/6/44)
Nicholas and Richard Gettino weren't the only pair of brothers in uniform from a Gettino family living in Solvay. Calogera and Mary Gettino emigrated from Sicily with two sons, Daniel and Angelo. (A daughter, Catherine, would be born in the United States:

Daniel R. Gettino served with the Army in World War 2 and received the Purple Heart. He moved to East Syracuse and worked for Crucible Steel, then Easy Washer. He died in 2000, at the age of 84.

Angelo C. Gettino Sr. returned to Solvay after his service with the Navy. He was a mechanic at Allied Chemical, retiring in 1980. He died in 2005, at age 85, survived by his wife of 63 years, the former Ida Moore, who died three years later.


Among those taking Naval aviation flight training at Colgate University is Robert Nash Gettman, 2833 Milton Avenue, Solvay. Upon successful completion of this program he will move on to advance training at other schools. Upon completion he will be commissioned an ensign in the U. S. Naval Reserve, with designation as a naval aviator with assignment to duty with the fleet. (3/6/43)

Robert N. Gettman, son of Charles L. Gettman, 2833 Milton Avenue, Solvay, was recently appointed a Naval aviation cadet and transferred to Pensacola, Florida, intermediate flight training. (3/24/44)

Robert N. Gettman died in 2000 in Flager Beach, Florida. He was 76. Among his survivors was his wife, the former Geraldine Smith. Gettman retired as an airplane captain With US Airways. The Solvay High School and LeMoyne College graduate was a Navy carrier pilot in World War 2.

Somewhere in a far corner of my memory, is the sight of a Corsair, a Navy fighter plane, swooping low over the hill at the end of my street, Russet Lane, in the mid-1940s. As I recall, the plane buzzed the hill at least twice. One of the Gettmans — Robert had two brothers, Charles and John Walter — was flying that plane, and Robert seems the logical choice, though Mario Tomasetti, in a Solvay village newsletter several years ago, referred to the Gettman brothers as the pilots.

I believe the pilot (or pilots) responsible received a reprimand by the National Guard for the stunt, though it provided quite a thrill for all who witnessed it.

Three sons of Bert and Mary Ghezzi of Solvay served in the armed forces during the second World War — Reno Ghezzi, Guido Ghezzi and Leno Ghezzi.
Pfc. Palmer A. Gialto, Solvay, was discharged from Fort Dix, NJ. (11/2/45)
Palmer A. Gialto lived in Solvay for 20 years. He owned and operated Palmer's Luncheonette in Syracuse at 435 North Salina Street. He was a member of the Solvay Tigers Athletic Club and a communiant of St. Cecilia's Church. He died in 1960 at the age of 53.

Syracuse Herald-Journal, February 8, 1945
SAN FRANCISCO — Wounded on the third day of the battle for Peleliu, Marine Pfc.
Robert K. Gillan, a son of Mr. and Mrs. Verne J. Gillan of 512 Highland Street, Syracuse, has arrived at the U. S. Naval Hospital here for convalescence.

Serving as a machine gunner with the First Marine Division, Gillan suffered a broken right leg when caught in a Jap mortar barrage and struck by a shell fragment.

“Any Marine who came out of Peleliu in one piece,” said Gillan, “can count himself a lucky man. It was my only combat experience, but many of my buddies who had been through the battles for Guadalcanal and New Britain declared they never had seen anything to compare with the ferocity of Peleliu.”

Gillan was evacuated aboard a hospital ship and taken to a base in the Russell Islands for treatment prior to being transferred here. He had been overseas since April, 1944.

He attended Solvay High School and before enlisting in October, 1943, was employed by the L. A. Witherill Department Store, Syracuse.

His two brothers also are in the service. Pfc. James Gillan, 21, is in the Marines; Pfc. Edward Gillan, 20, is in the Army.

Robert K. Gillan died in 1983 at the age of 57. He was a courier for Electronic Systems Company. His obituary indicated that he was predeceased by b rother Edward and that James Gillan was living in Wisconsin.
Anthony James "Tony" Gillani, who went on to become vice president in charge of detail dairy stores with Byrne Dairy Corporation, was a Solvay High School graduate who served in the Army in World War II. He died in 1987 at the ae of 70.
Pvt. Joseph F. Giovanini of 206 Lamont Avenue, Solvay, has arrived at the basic training center of the Army Air Forces Technical Command at Atlantic City, New Jersey, for a period of training. He attended Solvay High School and formerly was employed by the Solvay Process Company. (12/12/42)
Joseph F. Giovanini was employed by Carrier Corporation as an electrician for more than 25 years.He was a member of the Geddes Veterans and a past president of the Solvay Tyrol Club. He died in 1995, at the age of 73.
Pfc. Frank M. Gladick, 187 Armstrong Avenue Lakeland, was discharged from Fort Dix, New Jersey. (11/24/45)

Sgt. William Gladis, 407 Liberty Street, was awarded a Combat Infantry Badge for service in France. (8/2/44)

Sgt. William S. Gladis, son of Mrs. Victoria Gladis, RD-1, Solvay, wounded in European Theater of Operations. (1/2/45)


William James Glisson was a graduate of Solvay High School who served in the Army in World War 2, fighting in the Pacific. After the war he worked for the New York Telephone Company (AT&T) for 36 years. He became a resident of Dewitt, dying in 2011 at the age of 90 survived by his wife of 64 years, the former Joseph Caffrey.

Pvt. Henry Glowacki has returned to Jefferson Barracks, Missouri, after a seven-day furlough with his wife, Mrs. Helen Zebrowski Glowacki of 512 Woods Road, Solvay. (1/22/43)
Glowacki died in 1988 at the age of 73. He was employed by Crucible Steel for 44 years before reitiring in 1978. He served with the Army Air Corps in World War 2 in the Pacific theater of operations. He is buried in Sacred Heart Cemetery. He was survived his wife; a son, Henry M. of Syracuse, and a daughter, Mary Jane Mirra of Syracuse.
A.M.M. 3-C Charles Gocek, son of Mr. and Mrs. Stanley Gocek, 107 King Avenue, Solvay, was graduated from the Naval Air Technical Training Center, Memphis, Tennessee, and received his rating of third class petty officer, and has been transferred to Naval Air Gunners School, Jacksonville, Florida. (11/5/43)

Corp. John Gonzales, Solvay, returned to New York City aboard the Queen Mary. (12/16/45)

Corp. John Gonzales, Solvay, was discharged from Fort Dix, New Jersey. (12/24/45)

Corp. Henry W. Goodelle, transferred from California to Edgewood Arsenal Officer Candidate School, Maryland, spent a few days with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Goodelle, 404 Montrose Avenue, in the course of his travel. He also visited his wife, Mrs. Jane Parks Goodelle, at the same address. (3/24/43)
A 1960 item in the Baldwinsville (NY) Messenger mentioned a Maj. Henry W. Goodell, still in the service. This may be the same person since I found other references to the name being spelled without the "e" on the end.
Everett M. Gowdy, 504-1/2 Second Street, Solvay, in 119th Quartermaster Corp. (12/9/41)
Sgt. Charles C. Gozzi, son of Mr. and Mrs. Rocco Gozzi of 205 Gertrude Avenue, has been awarded the Air Medal “for meritorioius achievement” while participating in aerial flights in the Pacific Theater of Operations from May 31 to July 5. He has been in service four years and overseas nine months. (12/28/45)
Charles "Chuck" Gozzi was born in Italy but spent most of his life in Solvay at 205 Gertrude Avenue. He was a graduate of Syracuse Uniersity, a salesman for Dairylea Milk Company and a self-employed food broker. He was a member of Solvay Tigers Athletic Club, the Solvay-Geddes Community Youth Center, Westvale Golf Club and Wildwood Archery Range. He died in 2000.
Ernest John Gozzi Sr. of 308 Darrow Avenue, Solvay, died in 1999 at the age of 82. He was born in Italy and enlisted in the U. S. Army during World War 2. He retired in 1979 after 32 years as a cabinet finisher at General Electric. He was a building commissioner for the village of Solvay and a member of the Solvay Tyrol Club. I don't know if or how Ernest and Charles Gozzi were related.
Pvt. Robert E. Graham, 1806 West Genesee Street, has been assigned for training to the Medical Replacement Training Center at Camp Robinson, Arkansas. His training will embrace 11 weeks, after which he will be assigned for duty to some medical department organization. (4/28/43)
T/5 James Greco, 311 Chemung Street, was discharged from Fort Dix, New York. (11/24/45)
James Greco returned from the war and worked at Allied Chemical (Solvay Process) until retiring in 1972. He died in 1994, at the age of 80.
Joseph F. Greco Sr. was a native of Gloversville and lived in Mattydale after the war, but the Naval vetreran had some strong Solvay connections. He worked 41 years as an inspector for Crucible Steel and was a former member of the Loyal Order of the Moose in Solvay. One of his three sons, Joseph, lives in Solvay, so does his brother, Anthony. At least, they did when Joseph F. Greco Sr. died in 2009 at the age of 90, survived by his wife of 68 years, the former Jane Daniszewski.
S 2/c Francis J. Green Jr., 211 Trump Street, Solvay, was discharged from Sampson. (12/24/45)
Francis J. Green was a life resident of Solvay. He retired from General Electric. He died in 1994, at the age of 78, and was survived by his wife, the former Elsie Anthony.

Capt. Louis Grillo, son of Frank Grillo, 320 Seventh Street, Solvay, recently completed P-47 Thunderbolt combat flying training at Majors Field, Texas. (5/31/45)

Capt. Louis Grillo of 320 Seventh Street, Solvay, is stationed at Fort Sumner Army Air Field, New Mexico. (6/6/45)

Grillo, a retired Air Force colonel, moved to California. He died in Huntington Beach in 1998. He was 78.

Syracuse Herald-Journal, January 22, 1942
When America calls, the Grobsmith family in Solvay answers.
Adrian J. Grobsmith Jr., 20, son of Justice of the Peace Adrian Grobsmith of Solvay is leaving today for the Naval Training Station at Newport, Rhode Island.

He is following the example of his younger brother, Dennis, who joined the Navy January 28, 1941, and is now on a warship on the North Atlantic patrol. Dennis was 17 when he joined the Navy.

Their father, chairman of draft board 471, served in the 27th Division of the American Expeditionary Forces in the First World War and may be subject for draft again as he is within the 44-year age limit.

Adrian Grobsmith Jr. is a graduate of Solvay High School and was captain of the baseball team. Later he attended Niagara University. His father is senior vice commander of the New York Department, Veterans of Foreign Wars. The family home is at 116 Charles Avenue.

The third Grobsmith son, Leon, 17, was in the news on August 2 when he suffered a fracture of his right leg and other injuries when his motorcycle was clipped by an automobile in the 1000 block of West Fayette Street in Syracuse. Riding with Grobsmith was Charles O’Neil, 19, of 200 Charles Avenue, Solvay, who escaped with cuts and bruises. The driver of the automobile was charged with failure to yield the right-of-way and with illegal registation. Leon Grobsmith enlisted in the Navy on May 11, 1944. After the war he was a truck driver for Dick's Auto Express in Syracuse and lived in Central Square. He died in 2001; he was 77.

Anthony P. Grossi lived in Solvay for many years and worked as a millwright at Crucible Steel before retiring in 1989. He was in the Army Air Force during World War 2. He was a member of the Solvay Tigers AC and the Community Youth Center. He died in 2008 at the age of 85.

Sgt. Frank Gryczka and Pvt. Irving Gryczka are sons of Mr. and Mrs. Anthony Gryczka, 1012 Emerson Avenue. Frank has been in service since January 16, 1942, and is stationed at Baers Field, Fort Wayne, Indiana. Pvt. Gryczka has been in service since June 22, 1943, and is stationed at Camp Stewart, Georgia. (8/30/43)
The Gryczka brothers lived just outside the village line in perhaps the most remote Syracuse neighborhood, about two blocks from Solvay Process property. I've found nothing more on Frank Gryczka, but Irving Gryczka retired as operations manager from Laidlaw Transportation Company after working 20 years with the transporation department of the school district in North Syracuse where he lived after the war. He died in 1993, at the age of 67.
Second Lieut. George E. Guckert Jr., son of Mr. and Mrs. G. E. Guckert, 1401 Milton Avenue, was commissioned in the infantry at Fort Benning, Georgia. He is a graduate of Solvay High School. (6/10/43)
George E. Guckert Jr. was promoted to captain and in 1945 was awarded the Silver Star for conspicuous gallantry in action during World War 2.

Also inducted into the armed services:

Sabina Garcia, 2029 Milton Avenue, Solvay, April, 1944.
Edward J. George, 106 O'Brien Road. (Army, 9/8/44)
Kendrick W. Green, 402-1/2 Center Street, Solvay (1/18/43)

A | B | C | D-E | F | G | H-I | J-K | L | M | N-O | P-Q | R | S | T-V | W-Z
For more on Solvay way back when, check out
the Solvay-Geddes Historical Society