I believe the obituary that follows may be slightly misleading. Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle returned to the screen in 1931 for the first of seven short films, the kind sandwiched between the two main attractions. (Theaters in those days almost always had double features.)

His last film short was the one he completed before his death. He was, however, slated to do a feature film later that year.

Syracuse Journal, June 29
NEW YORK (INS) — Roscoe “Fatty” Arbuckle, the 300-pound film comedian whose good-natured smile once won for him one of the greatest fortunes of the screen, and who was attempting a comeback after 12 years of exile from the films, died unexpectedly early today in his hotel apartment. Death was attributed to a heart ailment. He was 46.

Arbuckle was at the height of his popularity 12 years ago, and had an income that ran into hundreds of thousands annually, when the death of a girl following a party made him the storm center of a controversy that shook the movie industry.

It was the Arbuckle case that brought Will Hays into the movies as “czar.”

Arbuckle completed a picture only yesterday. He made a few last shots at the Astoria studios, then, accompanied by his wife, the former Addie McPhail, motion picture actress he married a year ago, he motored back to his New York hotel.

Early this morning, Mrs. Arbuckle was awakened by groans. She found Arbuckle unconscious. Dr. Kenneth Hoffman, hotel physician, was summoned. He examined Arbuckle, then broke the news of his wife that he was dead.

Mrs. Arbuckle said her husband recently had complained at various times he was not feeling well.

Arbuckle was a graduate of the Mack Sennett Comedies where he was featured with Charlie Chaplin, Mabel Norman, Chester Conklin and many others who were famous then, but are now virtually forgotten. Arbuckle had only to turn his slow smile on screen to get a laugh. He became a star immediately.

In 1917 he and Joseph Schenck, now president of United Artists, formed a partnership for the production and distribution of his comedies. The venture was very successful.

He had come from Texas, made his stage debut at 8 with the late Frank Bacon’s stage company, and arrived in the movies via the vaudeville route.

Soon newspapers were carrying stories about Arbuckle’s $20,000 automobile, specially built for his great bulk, and noting other extravagances. He was said to be generous to a fault and a great spender.

Then the story broke which removed Arbuckle from the screen. The district attorney of San Francisco was investigating the death of Virginia Rappe, a minor screen actress, who had died in Arbuckle’s hotel rooms in San Francisco.

Arbuckle was tried on a charge of murder, but acquitted. Physicians testified Miss Rappe had died from natural causes.

Arbuckle was virtually forced out of the movies and the opposition to his return was unrelenting for years. It was only a year ago that he was able to resume making his own comedies.