Syracuse Journal, July 23, 1917
Only One Marine Recruit
Starts for Buffalo Depot

Just one recruit enlisted at the Syracuse station left this morning for Buffalo the recruit depot of the United States Marine Corps for the local district. He was Mark P. McCarthy of 1266 S. State St. No one recruit was secured on Saturday for the “soldiers of the sea,” although many were examined. The high physical standards of the USMC robs that branch of the service of many men.

Syracuse Post-Standard, August 26, 1918
McCarthy, Gassed By Huns,
Recovering in Hospital
Mr. and Mrs. Mark McCarthy of 1266 South State Street have received a letter from their son, Mark P. McCarthy, who was gassed in the trenches around Chateau-Thierry June 16. Young McCarthy at the time of writing was about to be transferred to a convalescent hospital. Previous to that he had been in three hospitals, his condition being at first regarded as very serious.

He is a member of the Sixth Regiment, Seventy-eighth Company of Marines, and went through practically the whole of the fighting around the now historic battle ground without a scratch. He was seventy days in the trenches, fighting, before he was finally gassed. He enlisted in June, 1917, while a senior at Cornell.

Skaneateles Press, January 12, 1962
Mark P. McCarthy, Restaurant Head, Marine Vet, Dies at Home
Mark P. McCarthy, owner of the well known McCarthy Restaurant at 1026 South Salina St., Syracuse, and a Skaneateles summer resident, died last Sunday (January 7, 1962) at his home, 320 Stolp Ave., Syracuse, after a long illness.

He was the husband of the former Elizabeth McLaughlin of Skaneateles and a frequent visitor to the village.

He attended Christian Brothers Academy in Syracuse and participated in several of the city’s charitable organizations.

A native of Syracuse where he was born June 28, 1895, he was a veteran of World War I, serving with the United States Marine Corps in a brigade attached to the Second U. S. Division.

He took part with his brigade in many operations of the Corps and was present in the action at Belleue Wood and Chateau Thierry, preceding and during the second Battle of the Marne from June through July 1918.

He was wounded in action and received a Purple Heart decoration.

McCarthy’s Restaurant is a well known establishment of Syracuse, founded by the decedent’s father, Mark McCarthy, in 1873, a block from its present location. It is the oldest family-owned restaurant in the city.

A communicant of Most Holy Rosary Church in Syracuse, he was a member of its Holy Name Society.

He was a member of Post 41, American Legion, and was interested in the Syracuse Boys’ Club.

His brother, the late Frank C. McCarthy, founded the School for Retarded Children in Syracuse.

Surviving are his wife, Mrs. Elizabeth McLaughlin McCarthy; two daughters, Mrs. Thomas P. O’Leary and Mrs. Alan F. Coates; a son, Lt. J. Mark McCarthy of the U.S. Marine Corps stationed at Camp LeJeune, North Carolina, and a brother, the Rev. John A. McCarthy, pastor of St. Theresa’s Church, Syracuse.

Funeral services were held at 8:30 a.m. Wednesday from the DeWitt Funeral Home and at 9 a.m. from Most Holy Rosary Church in that city

Burial was in St. Mary’s Cemetery, Skaneateles.

Marcellus Press Observer, December 5, 1979
Mrs. Elizabeth McLaughlin McCarthy, 84, 745 Stinard Ave., Syracuse, died Monday morning, December 3 at her home.

She was born in Skaneateles and resided in Syracuse the past 50 years. She was the daughter of the late Cornelius and Elizabeth O'Hara McLaughlin. Her father was a partner of the McLaughlin Bros. Teasel Co. formerly on Fennell St., Skaneateles.

She was a member of Most Holy Rosary Church, Syracuse. In addition she was a member of Post 41 American Legion Auxiliary.

Mrs. McCarthy was a graduate of Skaneateles High School. She was graduated from the College of St. Elizabeth in 1920 with a degree in Education. She was a member of the St. Elizabeth Alumnae Assn. and had taught school in Ovid for several years.

She was the widow of Mark P. McCarthy, who died in 1962. She was associated for many years with her late husband in the operation of McCarthy's Restaurant, a well-known seafood restaurant located at 1030 S. Salina St. It was family operated since 1873.

She is survived by her son J. Mark McCarthy of Syracuse; two daughters, Marybeth (Mrs. Thomas P.) O'Leary of Solvay and Connie (Mrs. Alan F.) Coates of Syracuse; 17 grandchildren; a brother, Frederick of Shaker Heights, Ohio; a brother-in-law, the Rev. John A. McCarthy of Syracuse and several nieces and nephews.