HOME | FAMILY TREES | RECOLLECTIONS | STRICTLY SOLVAY | ETC. | READ ABOUT IT | NAME DROPPING
 
December 7, 1941: The year's most important story


The following story is a reminder that once upon a time — before Onondaga Lake became thoroughly polluted — its waters served many recreational purposes. There were hotels, private clubs and at least one large amusement park located on the shore of Onondaga Lake, which for much of the 19th and early 20th centuries was perhaps the area's most popular weekend and vacation destination.

Syracuse Herald-Journal, January 8
Hunters Club burns; two women flee
The Hunters Club, for many years an entertainment and resort center at Pleasant Beach on Onondaga Lake, burned early today.

Two occupants, Mrs. Augusta Windhausen, and her niece, Mrs. Genevieve Barry, escaped from the burning structure after grabbing a few articles of clothing.

Deputy Sheriffs Joseph Seeley and Justin King, patroling the vicinity, discovered the fire at about 2 a.m. and telephoned Solvay police. Patrolman Mathew Scanlon of the Solvay police department sounded the alarm and notified Fire Chief Edward F. Kurtz.

The Solvay volunteer fire department responded, but the blaze had gained too much headway for the firemen to save the building. The original Hunters Club, and a dining room, recently added, were destroyed.

Furniture, the day’s receipts and some other cash, totaling about $100, and the entire liquor stock were believed destroyed. Mrs. Windhausen was unable to estimate the total loss.

Cause of the fire was undetermined. Mrs. Windhausen and Mrs. Barry said they found the taproom filled with smoke. The blaze is believed to have started in the chimney of a fireplace.

Neither of the women had retired. Mathew Windhausen of 2807 West Genesee Street, and his son, Charles Windhausen, had left the club a few minutes before the fire was discovered.

Pontoons of a plane piloted here last week from Long Island by Matthew Windhausen III and an automobile were saved from the fire. Young Windhausen landed his plane on Onondaga Lake and replaced his pontoons with wheels before proceeding to Niagara Falls.

The club was the scene of a party for employes of the Whelan Drug Company last night.

January 23: She's salutatorian and queen
Nancy Ribak, salutatorian of the January graduating class at Solvay High School, was crowned queen at the annual senior class dance. Basketball team captain Leland Mitchell was her escort. Crown bearer Mildred Welch was escorted by Ralph Lanceros.

January 29: No opposition from Democrats
Roscoe Bourlier and Stanley Duda were nominated by the Solvay Republican party as candidates for village trustees. Their election is virtually certain because the Democrats are not expected to mount any opposition in the March election..

Bourlier will succeed Third Ward trustee Frank Kinder, who is retiring after six years on the board. Duda, of 342 Belle Isle Road, is a leading bowler in the village and will succeed Anthony Weslowski, who is stepping down as village trustee in the Second Ward after serving for 10 years. Duda is associated with the Halcomb Steel Company.

Mayor John J. Degan and Solvay Police Justice Daniel F. Mathews were endorsed for re-election by the GOP committee. Raymond Leachtner will run again as candidate for trustee in the First Ward.

May 1: The Personae Dramatis, an alumni group of Solvay High School, presented “Dark Victory,” a stage version of the story that was a hit movie for Bette Davis in 1940. Harvey Esler directed the play, performed in the Solvay High auditorium.

Eileen Dillon played Judith Traherne, the Davis character, and Robert Kissock played Dr. Steele, performed by George Brent in the movie. The Personae Dramatis was made up of more than 35 Solvay graduates who had been in the school’s Senior Dramatic Club

Other members of the cast were Mary Dillon, John Snigg, Anita Andreotta, Geraldine Leahy, Eugene Bianco, Betty Cholet, Laura Franschetti, Hugh Robinson, Bessie James and Edwin Bristol.

May 11: A two-night minstrel show to raise money to provide vacations at Otisco Lake for underprivileged children was staged by the Stanley B. Pennock Post, Veterans of Foreign Wars, at the Solvay High School Auditorium. The interlocutor was Daniel F. Mathews, police justice.

In May the Syracuse Municipal airport, then located in Amboy, just outside of Solvay, was the site of a demonstration intended to inspire young men to enlist in the Army Air Corps.

Syracuse Herald-American, May 25
Army planes invade the airport
Crowds at the Municipal Airport yesterday had a thrilling demonstration of what Army war planes can do, a demonstration of “dragging the field” at high speed, in which spectators could imagine the frightful toll of enemy planes machine gunning a terrain.

Scarcely 30 feet above the field, nine of the 10 Army pursuit ships flew at high speed across the field and circled back before taking off on their return to Mitchel Field, Long Island. One plane remained behind so that the nine planes could keep their formation in threes as they swept low over the field, their motors roaring and lacking only machine-gun fire to resemble and actual raid. The plane behind was in position for “mopping up” an enemy battle line as the threes roared over the field.

Sharp-nosed and brilliantly painted, the sleek and deadly planes made an impressive sight as they circled the city when they arrived from Mitchel Field shortly after noon. But this spectacle was nothing to that at the airport as the fast pursuit planes sped over and back several times, roaring down lower each time. The spectacle would have been terrifying had it not been merely a demonstration of aerial might and facility in maneuvers.

Each plane has two machine-guns in its hood, each gun synchronized to fire between the three blades of propeller as they revolve. Two machine-guns are in each wing and these six guns can give out fastest and mightiest outburst of death dealing bullets.

All sections of Syracuse had opportunity to see the planes as they flew over and circled the city about 12:15 p.m. They flew over Syracuse twice, once on their arrival and later on their departure as they took off on the return flight about 2 p.m.

The flight to Syracuse was part of the observance of Flying Cadet Day and part of the Army’s campaign for flying cadets.

Flying Cadet Day was yesterday as part of the campaign for the Air Corps. A motion picture, “I Wanted Wings,” was shown at a local theater and the recruiting districts unit was stationed outside the theater.

May 28: What was termed the year's worst electrical storm started a fire that destroyed a barn in Minoa and knocked off the top third of a chimney of Thomas Pirro’s home at 207 King Avenue, Solvay. Lightning bolts, several miles apart, struck Minoa and Solvay at approximately the same time, 3:40 a.m. Several transformers were ruined, causing several power failures in Onondaga County.

June 3: McCarthy Block burns
A three-story building at the corner of Milton and Caroline Avenues was destroyed by fire. Trapped in a second-floor apartment was James McCarthy, 62, who was found dead at 3:30 a.m. Making the discovery were firemen George Kelly and Norman James after the flames were brought under control. McCarthy had suffocated in the dense smoke.

The discovery came as a surprise because firemen had been told the building, known as the McCarthy Block, was unoccupied. The question had come up earlier in the evening when firemen were called to put out a fire in a shed attached to the building. At that time James McCarthy was seen on the street.

Whether that fire touched off the one that then destroyed the main bulding was unknown at the time. Both fires, no doubt, were considered suspicious in origin.

Adding to the mystery was the action of the victim’s nephew, Thomas McCarthy, who hours after the fire climbed a ladder, attached a rope to the wall and tried to pull it down. At the same time the wall buckled on its own. Firemen said McCarthy was lucky to avoid injury when the wall crumbled and crashed to the ground, along with McCarthy and his ladder.

The building was owned by the victim’s brother, Patrick V. McCarthy, who also listed it as his home address, but actually resided elsewhere. Firemen believed the only tenant of the building was a street-level barbershop which was closed at the time of the fire.

The village of Solvay and the McCarthys were in a legal battle over the property. Adrian Grobsmith, a member of the village board, told reporters, “The village wanted to foreclose for non-payment of taxes.” He said the burned-out building and other buildings on the property would be taken over and torn down.

June 5: Solvay’s 21st annual June Festival was held at Woods Road Park. Laura Burke, a Solvay High senior, presided as the “Spirit of Liberty,” having been chosen by her classmates as the most representative girl of her class. She was a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Burke of 114 Summit Avenue. More than 1,000 pupils from the Solvay schools participated.
June 7: Norma Brown, daughter of Mrs. Patrick Lane, 1337 Milton Avenue, was named valedictorian of the June graduating class at Solvay High School. Salutatorian was Jean Crandon of 218 Parsons Drive.

June 10: Students become fire fighters
Fire caused $30,000 damage in the 35-room home of Maxwell Brace on Piercefield Drive, Solvay. While waiting for firemen to arrive, members of the family, its servants, neighbors and several students on their way home from school went into the house to rescue its contents.

They were credited with saving thousands of dollars worth of Oriental rugs, furniture, silver, pictures and other valuable items. They also were very lucky that no one was injured. When firemen arrived they had to put on gas masks in order to work upstairs.

The fire apparently spread from one which had been started that morning in the library fireplace. It was discovered about 2:30 p.m. while members of the family and their two house guests were having lunch. The fire was largely confined to the third floor. It was water cascading down from the third floor that caused considerable damage to the lower floors.

The house is a three-story brick and frame structure on a 12-acre estate, making it one of the most unusual properties in the village.

June 28: The first concert by the newly organized Solvay Junior Tyrol Band was presented at the Tyrol Club at 114 Freeman Avenue, Solvay. Members of the band included Norman Nicolini, Alfred Chemotti, William Capella, Edwin Tarolli, Bert Armani, John Pauli, Fred Marascalchi, Henry Capella, Minnie Artini, Renat Nicolini, John Capella, Edward Albrigo, Louis Pellizzari, Dominick Passardi, Alvin Tarolli, Henry Antonini.
August 14-15: St. Cecilia's Church had its annual field day at Woods Road Park to benefit the church's convent. Both nights featured parades through village streets and, of course, a late night fireworks display.

Syracuse Herald-Journal, October 17
The new cinder block building in Milton Avenue, Solvay, which is to house the enlarged NYA (National Youth Administration) pottery project, is nearing completion and will be ready for occupancy around November 1, according to an announcement from S. J. Ciciarelli, area director.

The new shop is one story high, 165 by 65 feet, and is equipped with a complete kiln, having a capacity of 225 dozen dishes a day. The land was furnished by the village of Solvay, which is to retain title. The town of Geddes supplied half of the material used in construction.

Forty-three young people are being trained in the present NYA pottery shop, a short distance from the one under construction. The training courses are conducted by foremen from plants of the Onondaga Pottery and the Iroquois China Company.

The NYA project is the only one of its kind in New York State. It will produce dishes for use in NYSA resident centers.

October 19: Electric rates in the village of Solvay were reduced for the fifth time in six years. Solvay residents receive their power from a municipally-operated plant. The latest reduction will save residents about $3 per year.
November 20: Thanksgiving meals were interrupted for Solvay volunteer firemen summoned to battle a marsh fire that smoldered through several acres of swampy Onondaga Lake shoreline near what used to be known as Rockaway Beach. The fire apparatus could not get through the marshy terrain and firemen used old brooms to contain the fire, which died before it spread into nearby woods.
December 3: The Solvay Chamber of Commerce gave a banquet at Solvay High School to honor its cross-country and football teams. Among the guests was Syracuse University star running back Bunky Morris, who was singled out for an unusual accomplishment during the 1941 season — not only was his 48-yard field goal the longest of the season, he did it dropkick style. (For those too young to remember, this means he did it without benefit of a holder.)

Syracuse Herald-Journal, May 8
Their number would soon grow
They were boyhood pals and they’ve been stationed at the same Marine Corps base for months — but neither even knew the other was a Marine until they met by accident yesterday — back in Solvay, their hometown.

“Well, blow me down,” was the greeting exchanged by Corporal Victor T. Tagliaferri of 512 Second Street and Private First Class Warren J. Mumper, who lives around the corner at 110 Center Street.

Both have been stationed at Parris Island, South Carolina. They left for Solvay at about the same time, both on two-week furlough.

They’re the only Solvay youths in the Marine Corps.

“I was getting out of my car in front of the house,” Tagliaferri said, “when I looked down the street and saw a Marine uniform.”

“I was walking home past Vic’s house when that corporal’s garb caught my eye,” Mumper explained.

Now they’re passing their furloughs together.

Although Tagliaferri is 25 and Mumper is 20, the two were childhood playmates. Both attended Boyd School and Solvay High School, where Tagliaferri starred in track in 1933 and 1934.

Mumper was the first youth to go through the induction mill in the Syracuse Marine Corps Recruiting Station. The station, in the Federal Building, opened July 1, 1940, and Mumper was enlisted eight days later. He since has been stationed at Parris Island with the Meteorological Station of the Fifth Defense Battalion engaged in anti-aircraft work.

Tagliaferri enlisted June 24, 1939, in Utica. After eight weeks at Parris Island and a training period at the Quantico, Virginia, Marine base, he engaged in maneuvers in Puerto Rico with the 3d Battalion, H Battery, 11th Marines. He has since been stationed at Parris Island.

Tagliaferri’s brother, Floyd, is Gunner’s Mate Third Class Floyd Tagliaferri of the USS St. Louis.

By the end of the year the Marine Corps would include several other men from Solvay and the Town of Geddes.

Syracuse Herald-Journal, May 16

Lead item in “Skidding the Sport Field with Skid,” a column by sports editor Lawrence J. Skiddy:

“In the spotlight on the Pacific Coast over the weekend is Martha Smith, 19-year-old Solvay girl, who competes Sunday in the Western International Bowling Congress at Los Angeles.

“The Solvay girl, who began bowling at the age of nine, has a national ranking, with a prediction being made by several of the nation’s outstanding experts that eventually she will be the best woman bowler in the country.

“Last year, bowling in Syracuse, she was second high scorer in singles and did rather well in all events."

Syracuse Herald-Journal, October 22
Escaped just in time
Leaping to safety when he discovered a train bearing down on him in the 2200 block of Milton Avenue, Solvay, Robert Kline, 28, of 355 Webster Avenue escaped injury, but the truck he was driving was damaged extensively at 10:45 a.m. today.

Kline, employed by the Baldwin-Hall Electrical Company, Inc., was leaving the Iroquois China Company driveway and was just crossing the tracks of the New York Central’s Auburn division line when he noticed the gas-electrical train coming toward him.

He told police he realized a crash was imminent, so he leaped and got out of the way. The next instant the train struck the truck and pushed it some 75 feet down the tracks.

The tracks cross the China Company driveway and Kline said his view of the tracks was obscured by a parked car.

October 26 —
Fireman John Olgeaty honored
A Solvay volunteer fireman will be honored by the Onondaga County Fireman’s Association, which will present him with the Judge Frank P. Malpass medal for heroism. John Olgeaty won the award, the first to be presented in more than 10 years, when he saved the life to Leo Corbett, 17, who fell into a bed of Solvay Process benzol waste material. Olgeaty crawled out over the waste bed’s thin crust and pulled the youth to safety.
January 3: John P. Snigg, 54, 103 Boyd Avenue, Solvay, died of a cerebral hemorrhage January 3. Snigg was a Solvay plumber for 35 years.
January 5: Miss M. Alexine Grant, 66, retired high school teacher, died at her home, 722 Woods Road, Solvay, following a long illness. A native of Camden, Ontario, Miss Grant was a graduate of Pratt Institute in Brooklyn. She taught home economics at Solvay High School from 1906 to 1910 before joining the faculty at Vocational High School in Syracuse. She switched to North High School in 1923 and retired in 1940.
February 8: Miss Charlotte R. Brigham, 71, a retired teacher who taught music and drawing at the Solvay junior and senior high schools for 30 years, died at a convalescing home. She was born in Chicago and moved to Syracuse with her parents when she was a child.
April 23: Funeral services in Homer were held for Miss Helen Crahan, who was killed yesterday in an automobile accident in Hagerstown, Maryland. Miss Crahan wa ssuperintendent of music in the elementary schools of Washington County, Maryland.

Miss Crahan, born in Syracuse in 1913, was a daughter of the late Martin and Katherine Esketh Crahan. She was graduated from Solvay High School and studied composition at Syracuse University. She was given a master’s degree in music at the Juilliard School of Music and Columbia University.

June 18: Dr. Charles V. O’Brien, 56, a Solvay native, died in Brooklyn, where he had moved to set up his medical practice, Dr. O’Brien was the son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Michael O’Brien, pioneer residents of the village. His brother was Michael O’Brien, former sheriff of Onondaga County. His son, Charles, and two sisters, Misses Margaret and Alice O’Brien, live on Boulder Road in Solvay.
July 16: Charles J. Farrell, 40, Solvay village treasurer and chief clerk of Draft Board 471, died at Crouse-Irving Hospital, Syracuse, after a brief illness. He and his wife, Mrs. Maria O'Hern Farrell, lived at 109 Lamont Avenue.

Syracuse Herald-American, July 18
C. Herbert Halcomb, 82, founder of the Halcomb Steel Company in Syracuse and former president of the Crucible Steel Company of America, died in Washington July 17 at the home of his son, C. Herbert Halcomb Jr.

The former steel company head and pioneer in the industry in the United States retired from active business more than 30 years ago and had been in ill health for several years. He had not lived in Syracuse since 1909.

He was born in Sheffield, England, and his father was director of the Sanderson Brothers Steel Company works in Birmingham, England, when C. H. Halcomb came to Syracuse in 11881 as the agent of that company. He was in charge of the works here and later became president of the Sanderson Company in Syracuse.

When this was taken over by the Crucible Steel Company of America in 1900 he became president of that company, in which office he remained for about two years.

This was followed by a period of retirement, which ended with the organization of the Halcomb Company here in 1905. Three years later the Halcomb Company as taken over by Crucible and Mr. Halcomb retired.

During his activities here he resided with his family at 1009 James Street and in Cazenovia.

In 1883 he married Miss Anna Sumner Teall, the ceremony taking place in old St. Paul’s Church. She died three years ago. Four children survive — C. H. Halcomb of Washington; William Teall Halcomb of San Antonio, Texas; Mrs. Guido S. Verbeck of Manlius, and Mrs. Spofford Douglass of London, England, who makes her home at present with her brother in Washington.

Just over the village line, across Bridge Street from the State Fairgrounds, Halcomb Steel (later Crucible Steel) employed many Solvay residents. I couldn't pass the steel works without casting a glance. Fire blazing, I thought it must be the hottest place on Earth, my preview of hell. God bless the men who worked there, especially during World War 2.
- JSM

October 25: Just after a happy reunion with his son, James M. Fitzpatrick, home on furlough after completing U. S. Navy training at Newport, Rhode Island, Matthew J. Fitzpatrick, salesman for Learbury Clothes, fell dead of a heart condition last night at his home, 306 Hall Avenue, Solvay.

December 1: John D. Kelly, 70, of 205 Orchard Road, justice of the peace in the Town of Geddes for 16 years, died in Crouse-Irving Hospital of injuries suffered November 6 in an automobile accident near Skaneateles. Four persons were injured. (One of them, James Farrell, 72, of 109 Lamont Avenue, a retired grocer, would die of his injuries on January 28, 1942. Farrell's son, Charles, died in July, 1941.)

Justice Kelly was a native of Memphis, New York, but lived in Solvay most of his life and had been active in Republican politics. His survivors included three daughters, Miss Olga D. Kelly and Mrs. Ralph Adsit of Solvay, and Mrs. Marguerite Sullivan of Detroit.

Justice Kelly was one of the founders of St. Cecilia's Church in Solvay, and a member of its Holy Name Society. He also was a charter member of the Solvay Fire Department.

Syracuse Herald-Journal, June 12
Solvay High athletes celebrated
Close to 200 athletes and fans gathered at Solvay High School last night to celebrate the finest athletic record any school has ever enjoyed in the Onondaga County League, paying tribute to championship teams in football, basketball and track.

Last fall Solvay's (1940) football team went through its second consecutive season without a defeat; its basketball team won the Western Division championship without a setback and went on to defeat East Syracuse in the finals by more than 30 points; the baseball team just finished winning the Western Division title, and the track team is the best in the county circuit.

Earl Hadley, director of athletics at Solvay, was lauded for his fine work by toastmaster Francis Tindall, one of the greatest athletes to ever graduate from Solvay.

Other speakers included Miss Hilda Swanson, who yesterday won her third consecutive Syracuse Women's District Golf Association title; Bob Cullen, football coach at Fayetteville High School; Lew Carr, baseball coach at Syracuse University, and Bob Lannon, assistant football coach at Syracuse University.

Basketball 1940-41:
As mentioned above, Solvay High, coached for the first time by Al Talmadge, went undefeated in the Western Division of the Onondaga County League. Also in that division were Baldwinsville, Camillus, Elbridge, Jordan, Marcellus, Onondaga Central, Split Rock, Skaneateles and Warners.

The Eastern Division was comprised of eight high schools — East Syracuse, Fayetteville, Jamesville, Liverpool, Manlius, Minoa, North Syracuse and Tully. (Since then, of course, several of the schools in both division have been consolidated.)

My source on this project — fultonhistory.com — had copies of most 1941 editions of the Syracuse Herald-Journal and Herald-American, but the month of March was a no-show. It would have been in March that Solvay won the overall Onondaga County League title by beating East Syracuse.

The Szczech brothers, Joe and John, were two key players for Solvay, as were Jimmy Rowe and Ralph Lanceros. Games found:

January 10: Solvay 52, Marcellus 21
January 16: Solvay 33, arch rival Camillus 27
January 24: Solvay 29, Baldwinsville 24
January 31: Solvay 27, Skaneateles 18
February 4: Solvay 53, Eastwood 32 (non-league)
February 12: Solvay 32, Split Rock 21

Unfortunately, in the preliminary game on January 16, Camillus handed the Solvay jayvees their first loss in three years. From the score, 14-13, you'd think they had played football.

Archery:
June 8: Solvay High School’s team finished 14th (out of 49) at the sixth annual upstate New York girls’ archery tournament, won by Skaneateles High. Doris Mumpler of Solvay finished second in the clout shoot, an event in which archers attempt to land their arrows close to a flag pole from a distance of 140 yards.

Hockey:
I found three games:
January 16: Solvay 2, Baldwinsville 0.
January 23: Solvay 4, Skaneateles 1. Solvay goals: Renders, Kulak, Kolceski and Mosher.
February 5: Solvay 1, Fayetteville 1 (tie).

Baseball:
Solvay won the Western Division title by beating Camillus, 6-1 on May 30, after overwhelming Warners, 12-0, in the first playoff game. However, East Syracuse, gaining revenge for their loss to Solvay in the basketball championship game, won the overall Onondaga County League baseball title by beating the Bearcats, 2-0, on June 14. East Syracuse pitcher Alex Wisniewski limited Solvay to two hits.

Pitcher Bobby Lindberg and catcher Jim Farrell were outstanding players for Solvay. Other last names of Solvay players in the Herald-Journal's box score for the East Syracuse game were (Jim) Rowe, ss; Gettino, 1b; Szczech, 2b; Batley, cf; O'Neil, lf; Pieklik, 3b, and Moran, rf.

Track and field:
June 14: Solvay High School’s track team finished first in all but two of the nine events to win the Onondaga County League track meet at Griffin Field in Liverpool. Ralph Willoughby led the way, breaking a record in the running broad jump and winning the 100-yard dash. Solvay scored 55 points, which was 22 better than its nearest rival, Manlius High. Willoughby’s time in the 100-yard dash was 10.5 seconds, and his broad jump of 22 feet, one-half inch was seven inches longer than the previous record set by Solvay’s Jim Rowe in 1937.

Bob Himpler of Solvay was the meet’s only other double winner, tossing the shot 39 feet, 4-1/2 inches, and clearing 5 feet, 8 inches in the high jump. J. McGraw of Solvay won the mile in 4 minutes, 49 and 7/10 seconds. Other Solvay winners were Bethka in the 440-yard run and Sullivan in the 880-yard run.

Football
Defending champion Solvay High was relegated to the role of spoiler as the team lost twice in league play. I found three games, a 6-0 loss to Fayetteville on October 16; a 7-6 win over previously undefeated Liverpool on October 24, and a scoreless tie with undefeated North Syracuse on October 31.

That's just seven points in those three games, all courtesy of the Brostek brothers, Frank, who scored the touchdown against Liverpool, and Bill, who kicked the extra point.

Bob Hemple, right tackle on defense, fullback on offense, was named to the Syracuse Herald-American's All County team. B. Glisson, left guard, and Bill Brostek, right end, were named to the second second team; Renders, Szczech and Farrell were given honorable mentions.

Syracuse Herald-Journal, May 9
Catholic University’s 1941 football team will be led by Henry Brostek, a Solvay boy and halfback, following his election to the captaincy by his teammates of the “Flying Cardinals” in Washington, D.C.

He is the fourth Onondaga County boy to be honored with a sports captaincy at the university. Fullback Rocco Pirro of Solvay is a former football captain. Carmen Pirro of Solvay and Maurice Carroll of Baldwinsville were leaders in basketball at the university.

At the annual athletic banquet of the university, Carmen Pirro, tackle on the football team and captain of the 1939-40 basketball team, was awarded the Harris trophy, symbolic of the outstanding scholar, gentleman and athlete. It is the most coveted athletic award at Catholic University.

Drafted by the Pittsburgh Pirates* (Steelers) of the National Professional Football League, Rocco Pirro has received a contract, but is undecided about playing professional football. He indicated that he isn’t seriously considering playing.

Pirro, chosen to play with the Eastern College All-Stars, made up of seniors who graduate this year, has been ordered to report August 18 in New York City to assemble for a camp training session in preparation for a game with the New York Giants’ pro team early in September in New York.

* The team originated as the Pirates and remained that way through the 1930s. However, by 1940 the team changed its nickname to the Steelers, though some sportswriters continued to refer to them as the Pirates.

Basketball 1941-42:
December 5: In one of the most lop-sided basketball games in the history of the Onondaga County League, Solvay High School ran roughshod over Warners High, 66-7. Leading at halftime, 33-6, Solvay held Warners to one point after intermission. Nine players scored for Solvay, paced by Joe Szczech's 15 points.

December 12: Solvay beat Jordan High, 41-19. The Szczech brothers, John and Joe, combined to score 24 points.

December 19: Solvay remained undefeated with a 28-24 win over Split Rock.

It would continue to be a very good season, spoiled only by one loss to — you guessed it, Camillus. For more ...

Also:
October 17: Ralph Willoughby, former Solvay High School football and track star, scored two touchdowns for the Clarkson College freshman football team in a 34-0 win over Manlius Prep.

October 21: Bowlers in the Solvay Commercial League at the Solvay Recreation alleys were in good form. The Solvay Hotel team had a three-game total of 3,154 pins, best of the season. Amos Speziali led all bowlers with a 671 total on games of 258-202-211. Eric Schneider followed with 659, Sparky DeSantis 655, Henry Bresadola 624, Joe Pozzi and Andy March 602 apiece.

 
Most items are from stories in the Syracuse Journal and its Sunday edition,
the Herald-American. Several were edited for length.
 
HOME CONTACT