January 18: New justice of the peace
Adrian J. Grobsmith, state vice commander of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, is sworn in as the Town of Geddes justice of the peace, filling a vacancy created by the death of John D. Kelly in December, 1941.

Grobsmith, who operates a trucking business, also has been a Solvay village trustee for six years. He resigned that position last night. Succeeding him to represent the first ward is John T. Dooghan. Grobsmith lives at 118 Charles Avenue, Dooghan a block down the street at 235 Charles Avenue. (Two weeks later Grobsmith is named acting state commander of the VFW to fill in for Major Paul S. Lawrence of Long Island who went on duty with the Second Civilian Defense Region in New York City.)

February 26: Artists honored
Solvay High students are among those honored with prizes at the 15th annual national high school art exhibit at E. W. Edwards & Son department store in cooperation with Scholastic Magazine.

One of the stars of the exhibition was Solvay’s William Brandy who was awarded first place honors in black ink, advertising art; second place honors for watercolor, charcoal, black ink and oils, and an honorable mention for watercolor.

Other first place winners: R. Heim (advertising art), Edward Musengo (advertising art), William Del Favero (ink, spatter ink), George DiGilio (ink), James McGraw (dress fabric design) and Lucille Porter (sculpture).

Second place: Elizabeth Casler (dress fabric design).

Honorable mention: Martha Jablonski (design on fabric) and Doris Duprey (pastel).

March 17: GOP wins every office
Republicans make a clean sweep of the Solvay village election. Unlike the previous election, Democrats provide some opposition. John Dooghan is elected trustee in the first ward, defeating his Democratic opponent, William O’Brien, 657 to 468. Louis Valletta wins in the second ward, beating Stanley Major, 492 to 309, and in the third ward Walter O. Scheiss defeats Edward Harvey, 470 to 349.

March 19: Seniors present three plays
Solvay High School’s Senior Dramatic Club presents three one-act plays – “Herbie’s First Date,” “Wednesday Midnight” and “Antic Spring.” They are staged at the high school auditorium, Miss Beatrice F. Bibbens directing.

The cast includes Robert Wall, Jane McLaughlin, Juliette Fabrizio, Doris Duprey, John Neary, Robert Hanley, Beverly Koehler, Elsie Herick, Patricia Bowers, Dorothy DeChambreau, John Henderson, Charles O’Neil, James Cianfrocca, William Hurst, Helen Peinkowski, Mary Kate Eckel, Jane Patrick, Loraine Tarolli, Ralph DeGilio, Tony Silvinski and John Keefe.

The production staff includes Edward Lundy, Janet Donahue, Tom Box, John Shery, Ronald Hayes, Robert Renders, William Masterpool, Patricia Kerlin, Jean Dillon, Dorothy Litz, Barbara Sanders, Jane Smith, Ellis Webster, Raymond Peterson and Gordon Richardson.

April 12: Quick-thinking teen stops runaway car
Syracuse Herald-American
Mario Rabozzi, 13, of 201 Case Avenue, Solvay, never drove a car in his life, but he is a Boy Scout, and when something has to be done, Mario does it. Besides, he had watched his father drive and knew just how to shift gears and brake, and that came in handy Friday night.

Mario saw a car, without passenger or driver, which had slipped its brakes and was running away down grade in Darrow Avenue, Solvay. Neighbors say Mario jumped into the car, slowed it and turned it into a driveway on the street and put on the brakes and left it, probably thus preventing considerable damage, if not injury.

Mario is a son of John Rabozzi and is a member of Troop 72, Boy Scouts.

June 12: John Sherry valedictorian
John Sherry is named valedictorian of the June graduating class at Solvay high School. He has been awarded a scholarship to Yale University. Miss Elaine Petosa, secretary of the senior class, was named salutatorian. She has received a scholarship to Central City Business Institute.

August 25: Salvetti nominated by Democrats
Democrats nominate Donald N. Salvetti, 160 Orchard Road, Solvay attorney, for justice of the peace of the Town of Geddes. He will oppose Charles B. Close, the Republican candidate, to fill the vacancy created by the death of John B. Kelly.

September 8: Faulty circuit blamed for fire
Quick work by the Solvay Fire Department was credited with saving the home of the Rev. William H. Mersfelder on Grand Avenue, Town of Geddes. Fire caused by a defective electrical circuit broke out this morning in the house that was unoccupied because the Rev. Mersfelder is in Binghamton.

Solvay fire fighters, led by First Assistant Chief Frank Willoughby and Second Assistant Chief George Kohler, arrived a few minutes after the fire was reported about 8:30 a.m. The fire was quickly extinguished, but not before damage estimated at more than $2,000 had been done.

November 5: Kuladowski elected class president
Edward Kulakowski was elected president of the Solvay High School senior class. Other officers for the 1942-43 school year: Donald Glisson, vice president; Betty Koehler, secretary, and Irene Swovick, treasurer.

November 6: Stage "Green Stockings"
Solvay High seniors present their annual play in the school auditorium. “Green Stockings,” directed by Miss Beatrice F. Bibbens, assisted by Mrs. Pia C. Pettrone, senior class adviser, features Annette Craig, Patricia Bowers, Mary Kate Eckel, Theresa Dattelas, Beverly Koehler, Edward Kulakowski, Charles Lalla, Gordon Peterson, Gordon Richardson, Carlton Angle, Robert Wall and George Hatch.

December 1: Solvay man in Boston nightclub fire
Syracuse Herald-Journal
It was reported today that Fritz Friedli, 29, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Friedli, Solvay, was critically burned Boston’s Cocoanut Grove nightclub fire that took the lives of 492 people three days earlier. It was the second-worst single-building fire in American history, topped only by the Iroquois Theater fire in Chicago, which killed 602 people in 1903.

The Cocoanut Grove fire was inadvertently started by a 16-year-old busboy who lit a match in order to find an empty light socket. The match touched off a canopy of artificial palm fronds and quickly spread and within five minutes engulfed the entire nightclub.

Friedli was attending the Officers Candidate School and Harvard. His wife and child live in Oregon.

Sergeant Timothy Marotta of Syracuse and his wife, Alice, were killed in the fire, which perhaps was the biggest disaster of the year on American soil.

December 23: Angle named January valedictorian
Carlton Angle of 715 Myrtle Street, has been named valedictorian of the January 1943 graduating class. Miss Rose Cefaratti of 406 Cogswell Avenue was chosen salutatorian.

December 30: Conway selected as supervisor
The town board of Geddes selects Frank W. Conway of 110 Alice Avenue, Solvay, as supervisor to fill the vacancy created by the election of Charles Tindall to sheriff. Mr. Tindall assumes his new duties tomorrow.

Mr. Conway has served for seven years as clerk of the town of Geddes. His successor in this post, also chosen by the board last night, is John T. Dooghan of 235 Charles Avenue, Solvay.

As supervisor from the town of Geddes, Mr. Conway also will serve as chairman of the town board. He is a Republican, a native and lifelong resident of Solvay and widely known in the village’s athletic circles, having been a three-letter man while attending Solvay High School. Mr. Conway is a member of the Tanner Hose Company, volunteer firemen’s group of Solvay.

Syracuse Herald-Journal, February 20 —
Rico Woyciesjes, three times intercollegiate light heavyweight boxing champion during his ring career at Syracuse University, leaves tonight for Parris Island to begin training with the United States Marine Corps.

Bidding farewell to his friends in the neighborhood of his home at Gere’s Lock, Solvay, the husky Halcomb Steel Company worker, who won the championships in the ring in 1939, 1940 and 1941, as well as reaching the national finals in 1937 in the 175-pound division, plans to join friends at the U. S. Marine training station.

They are Joseph Chesneski of Second Street, Solvay, a Solvay football players, and Sammy Plants, 142 Worth Avenue, Solvay, also a village high school grid man. Rico has a brother in the service, too. He is Michael Woyciesjes, 20, who is in training at Maxwell Field, Alabama, in the U. S. Army Air Corps

Syracuse Herald-Journal, March 11 —
Pvt. John P. Alfonsetti doesn’t think being a soldier is enough to do for his country, so he is going to buy a $25 Defense Bond every two months and send it to his mother.

His parents, Mr. and Mrs. Anthony Alfonsetti of 1225 Milton Avenue, Solvay, have received a letter from their son, now stationed at Schofield Barracks, Hawaii. He sent his mother a bond for her birthday and the information he would send another every two months.

Mrs. Alfonsetti went to the Onondaga County Savings Bank yesterday, taking Mrs. Laura Valerio of 2059 Milton Avenue, who bought $275 worth of Defense Bonds. Mrs. Valerio has a son who will enlist soon.

Syracuse Herald-Journal, April 17 —
Two brothers, separated since October, met here recently. Pvt. Benancio Manuel Fernandez, a member of the Air Corps unassigned, came from his base at Fort Wayne, Ind., while Frank Fernandez, employed by a public accounting and auditing concern in New York City, came here from Mexico City. Their home address is 400 First Street, Solvay. Frank Fernandez, a graduate of Syracuse University, is now seeking an ensign’s commission in the Navy.

Syracuse Herald-Journal, June 15 —
Frank Baldrini, 51, of 224 Woods Road, Solvay, veteran New York Central Railroad conductor, was inducted into the Army today after enlisting at the Syracuse Recruiting Office in the post office. His enlistment makes the third “hitch” in the service for Beldrini, who served overseas in the first World War and re-enlisted after the war was over.

Baldrini, father of four children, has been employed as a conductor on the New York Central 22 years. He is president of the Solvay Tyrol Club.

Syracuse Herald-Journal, August 2 —
Rocco Pirro, Solvay athlete who shone in college football for Catholic University and who has been in the National Football League the last two years, is a chief petty officer in physical education in the Navy now and hopes to be able to qualify for admission to Officers Training eventually.

His younger brother, John, is a midshipman at Annapolis and his brother, Carmen, who has been coaching at Catholic University of late, is home awaiting orders as to when he shall report for a try at Naval aviation.

Pirro is stationed at Newport, where there is no football team, and nothing would suit him as well as a transfer to South Carolina, Georgia or Iowa, which would give him a chance to play with one of the preflight naval training elevens. 
— From a column by sports editor Lawrence J. Skiddy

Syracuse Herald-Journal, December 31 —
Two brothers representing different arms of the service had their first reunion in six months during the Christmas holidays when both came home on furlough. They are Edward J. Lundy Jr., seaman second class, and Staff Sgt. Wallace J. Lundy, sons of Mr. and Mrs. Edward J. Lundy of 306 Cherry Road, Westvale. Their uncle is also in the service. He is James R. Lundy, who was graduated recently from a radio school and is now stationed as a private at Hammer Field, California.

Seaman Lundy enlisted four months ago. He is 20 a graduate of Solvay High School in 1941 and now in the Navy electrical school at Newport, Rhode Island. He was on the hockey team of Solvay High School. His arrival home was a surprise to his parents who had had no work that he was coming. Prior to his enlistment he was employed in the electrical department of Halcomb Steel Company.

Sergeant Lundy, 24, also was graduated from Solvay High School and was employed by Halcomb Steel. He has been in the Army about nine months and is in the Signal Corps stationed in Missouri. He was promoted to his present rank two months ago.

James Lundy has lived in Syracuse all his life and before enlistment was with the Easy Washing Maching Corporation.

While millions of Americans sent sons and daughters off to the service, one Westvale family decided their pet could be an asset to Uncle Sam:

Syracuse Herald-Journal, September 10, 1942
‘Flash’ Joins Army Dogs; Demerski Family Bids Him Goodbye at Train
Flash Demerski — if dogs have last names — went to war last night. By express. Uncle Sam wants him, and that’s an honor for any dog.

Flash is a big, intelligent German Shepherd, the pet and friend and watchman for Mr. and Mrs. Paul F. Demerski of 205 Windemere Road, Solvay. He’s a year and a half old and insists on toast and milk for breakfast (and the toast must be warm).

Whether he’ll get that morning ration when he joins the Army isn’t known, but his morale will be much better if he does.

Flash has been with Mr. and Mrs. Demerski since he was a playful puppy. Mr. and Mrs. Demerski didn’t really want to give up Flash, and Mrs. Demerski says they’ll miss him.

“But we though if he would be such a good helpful friend and watchdobg to some soldier as he’s been to us, we ought to give him up,” said Mrs. Demerski. Flash wagged his tale in corroboration. And when Flash wags his tail, one should be out of the way of it.

Mr. and Mrs. Demerski went to the train last night so Flash wouldn’t have to be in the crate too long. They said goodbye to him there.

Flash likes the children in his neighborhood, but he barks at strangers until they’re properly introduced or accredited by his folks. He likes to catch a baseball and retrieve it. He usually slept on the cellar stairs, but when it was warm he had the run of the house. Of late he slept in an easy chair in the living room.

Mr. and Mrs. Demerski wrote in June to the adjutant general at Washington, offering Flash for service. He referred them to Dogs for Defense, Inc., in New York, which sent a questionnaire and asked for a picture.

Flash made a good impression, so now he’s off to help the soldiers do sentry duty. He goes to Hicksville, Long Island.

For more about Flash

War would affect every aspect of our lives until late 1945 ... and haunt us ever after. What's amazing about the World War 2 years is how normal life in the United States may seem to those who make a superficial study of this period. Frightened at first, Americans at home soon began to feel safe. Rationing aside, Americans enjoyed most of the things they always did. Hollywood continued to entertain us, and so did professional sports, though the level of competition may have dropped at bit.

But millions of our young adults were in uniform; many would be killed or wounded. Solvay's servicemen and servicewomen are mostly featured on separate pages devoted to the parts they played in the war.

Meanwhile, civilians were making unusual sacrifices for the war. In retrospect, some of those homefront sacrifices seem almost humorous, like this first item involving a familiar Solvay landmark:

Syracuse Herald-Journal, March 3, 1942
German Guns May Go Back
Into Steel to Fight Nazis

Two big German cannon in Syracuse and one in Solvay, each a trophy of the first World War, may find their way to the scrap metal heap and, in so doing, help to win the present war.

One of the souvenir guns stands in front of the American Legion Club House in West Onondaga Street. Another is opposite the Sacred Heart School at West Genesee Street and Park Avenue. A third is in Woods Road, Solvay.

These guns are among many scores brought to this country after the other war and allotted to different states to be placed in public places as momentoes of the conflict.

Many of them have been offered to the War Department by the communities which now own them under the impression that they could be used as weapons. They cannot be so used, however, and their only value is as scrap metal. It is suggested that they be sold to junk dealers and the proceeds be invested in Defense Bonds or used in some other way to help Uncle Sam.

A news release by the Army Ordnance Department says in part regarding offers of the guns:

“The interest shown by these civic groups in our armament program is greatly appreciated by the Ordnance Department. It must be pointed out, however, that these cannon and machine guns now have value only as scrap. It is suggested that civic groups wishing to make thse items available for present needs make contact with their local scrap metal dealers and offer the items for sale.

“The money derived from the sales might be used to purchase Defense Bonds or stamps, or as a contribution to the American Red Cross, or for the purchase of locally needed defense equipment.

“In several instances, civic groups offering these trophies to the government have done so with a request that they be replaced with new items after the present war. The Ordnance Department cannot undertake to make this promise. The groups disposing of the trophies must do so without Ordnance Department assurance that they will be replaced. The Ordnance Department cannot pay freight or other charges in connection with the handling of any of these trophies.”

Patriotic fervor gave way to common sense — the Solvay cannon remained in place on Woods Road. The Allies would win the war without the scrap metal the cannon could have provided.

However, the harsh reality of war was setting in, conveyed in stories about about the deaths of young men who only a few months earlier had been neighbors to many Solvay residents ... young men such as Dalton R. Hardy, Fred W. Herring Jr. and Anthony Dannibale.

Others, such as David I. Sidnam, survived to tell what it was like to be under fire.

Hardly a day passed when local newspapers did not mention a local man or woman who had traded in civilian clothes for a military uniform. Many items I found on such men and women with a Solvay connection begin on Solvay Goes to War.

Syracuse Herald-Journal, February 1
Scrap metal of any kind was accepted as part of the patriotic effort to support America during World War II. An Onondaga County farmer visited the license plate substation in the old village hall in Solvay and turned in two pieces of an old plow, saying, “There’s enough scrap metal in this to make a lot of plates.”

Accepting the offering was Gene Pirong of 201 Draper Avenues, Solvay, who is in charge of the station.

George H. Aaf of 2703 Milton Avenue, Solvay, who is general foreman of the porcelain department at Pass & Seymour, parted with a collection he started 29 years ago — an armful of old license plates, starting with one from his first car, a Ford touring automobile he purchased in 1913. He also purchased the start of a new collection — his 1942 license plate.

February 20: Recruit and train nurses
A townwide movement to recruit and train nurses is started by the Solvay-Geddes Public Health Nursing Committee, headed by Mrs. John S. Farnham. Assisting her are Mrs. Chauncey S. Hurley, Mrs. Mayhew F. Hotaling and Mrs. Mary E. Egan.

The group is looking for nurses to be authorized to teach classes to those interested in becoming nurses to alleviate a nursing shortage at home expected to be caused by the war abroad.

Geddes nurses who already have volunteered their services are Mrs. B. J. Avery, Mrs. P. A. Bellinger, Mrs. C. P. Cook, Mrs. John Fiedler, Mrs. R. T. Fitch, Mrs. O. F. Gutknecht, Miss Margaret James, Mrs. H. J. Kennedy, Mrs. C. H. McArdell, Mrs. F. S. White and Mrs. Water Pope.

March 24: Fairgrounds captured by the army
It was announced that the 1942 New York State Fair at Syracuse has been canceled because the fairgrounds have been turned over to the United States Army for military encampment. The fair had been scheduled to be held from August 30 through September 7. This is the first time in 102 years that the fair has been called off.

April 23: Enemy aliens arrested
Solvay police aided the FBI, the New York State police and Syracuse police in raids that led to the arrests of three enemy aliens who were charged with violation of the Presidential proclamation calling for the reporting of all arms, ammunition, cameras and radios.

The raids netted five cameras, several shotguns and rifles, two shortwave radio sets and several hundred rounds of ammunition. One arrest was made in Solvay, one in Syracuse and one in Fulton. Those arrested were two Italians and one German. They were taken to a Federal detention facility.

June 16: Emphasis on civilian defense
The civilian protection system of the town of Geddes met last night in the Solvay Public Library to arrange a public demonstration of civilian defense scheduled for Saturday, July 25, at Woods Road Park. About 600 residents of the town are enlisted in civilian protection duties. The demonstration will be preceded by a parade featuring drum corps and bands and organizations — such as the Boy Scouts and Sea Scouts — who are part of the protection system.

Mrs. Cecelia Armani, 107 Franklin Street, Solvay, died August 22 at her home. Born in Austria, she had lived in Solvay 31 years. Survivors: Her husband, Paul Armani; five sons, Pvt. Serefino Armani of Fort Bragg, North Carolina, Frank, Edward, August and Richard Armani, all of Solvay; seven daughters, Virginia (Mrs. Vincent) Tropea of Syracuse, and Cecilia (Mrs. John) Ivaniszck, and the Misses Mary, Adeline, Palmyra, Columbia and Barbara, all of Solvay, and two grandchildren.

Mrs. Belle Barnes, 59, 333 Lionel Avenue, Solvay, died March 25. Born in Syracuse, she had lived in Solvay 30 years. Survivors: Her husband, John T. Barnes; one son, John F. Barnes; two sisters, Mrs. Michael O’Connor of Hartlot and Mrs. Dennis English of Schenectady.

Four months later her husband passed away:

John T. Barnes, 63, died July 31 at Syracuse Memorial Hospital. A native of Syracuse, he lived in Solvay 40 years. He orked as an inspector at Halcomb Steel for 38 years. Survivors: Son John F. Barnes and two brothers, George and William Barnes. Services August 3 at the home, 333 Lionel Avenue, and Saint Cecilia’s Church, followed by burial at St. Agnes Cemetery.

Mrs. Azella Borst Boyle, 89, 214 Hall Avenue, Solvay, died March 13. She was a native of Taft Settlement*. Survivors: Four sons, Lester, William, James and Jesse Boyle; a sister, Mrs. Alice Russell; five grandchildren, and nine great-grandchildren.

* Taft Settlement was a community that built up around Taft Methodist Episcopal Church northeast of Syracuse in the town of Cicero in the second half of the 19th century. In 1942 there were more than 130 homes in the community, named for pioneer settler John Taft (whose name is on one of the area's main roads). However, it was in 1942 that the U. S. Army purchased most of the land to build an air base. A few years later this became the site of the Syracuse airport, Hancock Field, which replaced the original airport in Amboy, near Solvay.

Vincent Cicero, 54, 40 First Street, Solvay, died June 10. A native of Italy, he had lived in the United States for 29 years and for 14 years had been employed by the Iroquois China Company. Survivors: His wife, Mrs. Angeline Cicero; four sons, Carmen, Paul, Frank and John Cicero, and one grandson, Vincent Cicero.

George A. Clark, 219 Draper Avenue, a native of Syracuse and resident of Solvay 17 years, died January 26. Survivors: His widow Julia McCarthy Clark; two daughters, Mary and Eleanor Clark.

Joseph Curto, 79, 200 Sixth Street, Solvay, died November 19. A native of Italy, he came to Syracue 40 years ago. Survivors: his wife, Mrs. Marie Grazia Curto; a son, James; three daughters, Mrs. Carmen Scuderi, Mrs. Felix Davoli and Mrs. Leonard Wilson, all of Syracuse; 10 grandchildren, and two brothers, Angelo and Luigi Curto.

Syracuse Herald-Journal, December 2
News of the death of Anthony Dannibale, 21, in action in the South Pacific has been received from the United States Marine Corps by his father, Joseph Dannibale of 103 Cogswell Avenue, Solvay.

Mr. Dannibale was sent the following telegram by Lieutenant General Holcomb, commandant, USMC:

“Deeply regret to inform you that your son, Pfc. Antonio Dannibale, was killed in action in the performance of his duty and in the service of his country. To prevent possible aid to our enemies, please do not divulge the name of his ship or station.”

Private Dannibale enlisted in Syracuse last January 13 and trained at Parris Island, South Carolina, and at New River, North Carolina. Six months after he was sent overseas and he wrote his father from the Solomon Islands war zone: “Make me some homemade spaghetti, and I’ll be home along about 1946.”

A former Solvay High School student, Dannibale attended St. Cecilia’s Church, Solvay, and was a member of the Syracuse Boys’ Club. Prior to enlistment he was employed by Pass & Seymour and by the Halcomb plant of the Crucible Steel Companyof America.

Surviving are his father; three brothers, Louis, Mariano and Phillip, all of Solvay, and three sisters, Mrs. Frank Spenzerio of Albany and the Misses Josephine and Mary Dannibale of Solvay.

Miss Helen F. DeLamater, head of the English Department at Solvay High School, died February 8in Syracuse Memorial Hospital after a short illness. A native of Cato, Miss DeLamater was graduated from Solvay High School and from Syracuse University in 1911. She taught one year at Richmondville before going to Solvay in 1912. Survivors: her mother, Mrs. Eva DeLamater of Solvay, and two uncles, John H. Carter of Jordan and Alvin K. Carter of Syracuse.

Mrs. Blanche Domaracki, 211 First Street, Solvay, died September 11 at home. She was the wife of Josoeph Domaracki, also known as Demerski. Survivors: Her husband; four daughters, the Misses Helen, Anne, Frances and Bernice Demerski; four sons, Pvt. Joseph Demerski Jr., U. S. Marine Corps at Norfolk, Virginia; Tech. Sgt. John Demerski at Fort Bragg, North Carolina; Robert and Arthur Demerski of Solvay; three sisters, Mrs. Robert Haney, Mrs. Stanley Slaski and Mrs. Joseph Stasko; three brothers, Louis, Joseph and Frank Orzel.
Mrs. Beatrice Duxbury, 218-1/2 Charles Avenue, Solvay, died November 27 at home. A native of Leeds, England, she had lived in the United States 29 years. Survivors: Her husband, Charles H. Duxbury; two daughters, Mrs. Clifford Large and Miss Sarah Duxbury; two sons, Charles and William Duxbury; a brother, Herbert Rickard of Skaneateles, and to sisters in England, Mrs. M. Dunwell and Mrs. J. Harley.

Bruce Fred Dzwonkowski (Fred Bell), 300 Second Street, Solvay, died April 26 at his home. Born in Solvay, Mr. Dzwonkowski worked at the Halcomb plant of the Crucible Steel Company of America. Survivors: Two sons, Raymond and Richard Dzwonkowski; his mother, Mrs. Veronica Dzwonkowski; two sisters, Miss Mary Dzwonkowski and Mrs. Joseph Brilla, and two brothers, Chester and William Dzwonkowski.

James Farrell, 72, 109 Lamont Avenue, died January 28 at University Hospital of injuries suffered in an automobile accident that occurred on November 6, 1941. Farrell, a reitred grover, was a passenger in the car driven by Justice John D. Kelly of 205 Orchard Road, who died December 1 from injuries in the accident two miles north of Skaneateles.

Farrell was a widely known Solvay resident and father of Charles Farrell, village treasurer who died in 1941. He had operated a grovery story for more than 25 years before retiring about eight years earlier.

He is survived by three sisters, Mrs. Wiliam Welsh of Syracuse, Mrs. Catherine Callahan of Herkimer and Miss Nellie Farrell of Syracuse; three brothers, Lawrence of Newport, Thomas of Oneida and John Farrell of Utica, and two grandchildren, James R. and Ann T. Farrell.

Syracuse Herald-Journal, January 9
Lieut. Dalton R. Hardy, 23, son of Mr. and Mrs. John C. Hardy of 406 Center Street, Solvay, was one of two victims of a fatal air cash late yesterday at Cochrane Field, Mason, Georgia, according to word received from the Army Field Public Relations Office.

The other victim was Kenneth N. Thomson, 27, of Edinburgh, Scotland, Royal Air Force cadet, who trained previously at Americus, Georgia.

A Syracuse University graduate and an instructor in the Army Air Corps, Hardy was killed in a training ship that was returning from a routine flight.

He was one of 11 cadets who enlisted in Syracuse last February 10. He was awarded his wings at Maxwell Field last November and, following a brief furlough in Solvay, was assigned to Cochrane Field as a primary training instructor.

He had received a telegram yesterday from a close friend, Wendell Morris, son of Mr. and Mrs. Wendell C. Morris of 326 Hall Avenue, Solvay, arranging for a meeting at Maxwell Field, where Morris is to start training as an air cadet following his enrollment this week.

Hardy was a graduate of Solvay High School and a member of the class of 1939 at Syracuse University, where he received a bachelor of science degree in business administration and journalism. He was a member of Beta Theta Pi fraternity.

Following graduation he entered the employ of Lincoln National Bank and Trust Company as a teller. He was a graduate of the CAA Pilot Training School here, having received his private pilot’s license in September, 1940. He was known to his friends by the nicknames “Tim” and “Jack.”

Surviving members of the family include his parents, who last night received a telegram from the War Department notifying them of their son’s death, and a brother, Sgt. Edwin C. Hardy, stationed with the ROTC at Syracuse University.

Syracuse Herald-Journal, October 12 —
Solvay teen killed in hunting accident
Eugene (Skippy) Hayes, 15, of 302 Hall Avenues, Solvay, is killed in a shooting accident on the farm of Assisstant District Attorney Arthur Wilson in Marcellus. Coroner H. Ernest Gak rules the boy’s death was accidental.

Hayes and a friend, Herbert Bell, 16, of Marcellus, were hunting crows in a ravine on the Wilson farm. Hayes, a junior at Solvay High School and a member of the cheerleading squad, was crouched several feet ahead of Bell when they spotted a crow in the bushes. Hayes stood up just as his friend fired his double-barrelled shotgun.

The charge struck him in the back of the head. Bell dropped the shotgun and ran to summon help. Dr. Vernon Roth of Marcellus arrived several minutes later and pronounced Hayes dead.

Hayes had gone to Marcellus with his brother-in-law and sister, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Kinsella of Solvay, and was spending Columbus Day weekend with the Bell family.

He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Douglas Hayes and lived in Warners until 1941 when his mother moved to Solvay. His father left the family in 1939 and moved to Canada. Police were trying to reach him to notify him of his son’s death. Mrs. Hayes said she hadn’t heard from her husband since he left.

Besides his parents, the boy was survived by two brothers, Ronald and Carl.

Syracuse Herald-Journal, July 17
The crash of an Army bomber on a routine training flight yesterday cost the life of Staff Sergt. Fred W. Herring Jr., son of Mr. and Mrs. Herring of Camillus, the Associated Press reports. The accident occurred near Post Falls, idaho. All five of the crew were killed.

The report from Geiger Field, near Spokane, Washington, gives the other casualties as follows: Lieut. William P. Marsh Jr., no address listed; Second Lieut. James H. Briggs, Gary, Indiana; Sergt. Robert H. O’Brien, Buffalo, and Pvt. Raymond J. Luettgen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Herring was graduated from Solvay High School in 1937 and attended a Syracuse business school before entering the employment of Dun & Bradstreet, with whom he served three years.

He enlisted in the Air Corps in September, 1940, and served at a number of field in various parts of the country before he was sent to Spokane. He was a specialist in aviation motors.

Mrs. Minnie S. Joslin, resident of Solvay for 50 years, died July 15 at Syracuse General Hospital. She was a member of the King’s Daughters and the Tanner Hose Company Auxiliary. Survived by several nices and nephews.

Brooklyn Daily Eagle, June 8
SYRACUSE — J. Irvine Lyle, president and founder of the Carrier Corporation, one of the largest manufacturers of air-conditioning apparatus in the world, died here yesterday after an illness of three months at the age of 68.

Mr. Lyle collaborated with Dr. William H. Carrier in 1902 in developing a scientific air-conditioning system which has been credited with launching this new industry. Later both men formed the Carrier Engineering Corporation, reputed to be the first company to devote itself exclusively to air conditioning.

Born in Fayette County, Kentucky, Lyle began his career in 1896 with the Pulman Company and later was associated with the Southern Railway Company and the Buffalo Forge Company.

Joel Irvine Lyle and his wife, the former Elizabeth Biggerstaff Lyle, lived on Orchard Road in Solvay. Just where on Orchard Road, I'm not sure (the Syracuse Journal edition for the day Lyle died was not available), though it seems likely he and his wife could have lived in the mansion on the former Hazard estate.

Lyle was graduated from Kentucky State University, now the University of Kentucky.

Buffalo Forge Company (mentioned above) manufactured fan engine equipment. Lyle and co-worker Willis Carrier developed the air conditioning system that kicked off a whole new industry.

In 1915 Lyle, Carrier and five others (including Lyle's brother, Ernest) formed the Carrier Engineering Corporation, which acknowledged that Willis Carrier was most instrumental in the development of air conditioning. He became chairman of the board of the company, which soon had facilities in four cities. Carrier consolidated these facilities and moved to Syracuse in 1937. Lyle was made president in 1939.

Besides his wife, Lyle was survived by a daughter, Cornelia Elizabeth Lyle Snyder of Skaneateles, and a son, Joel Irvine Lyle III of Orlando, Florida.

James J. McNeill, 68, 220 Draper Avenue, Solvay, a retail salesman for the Watkins Quality Products Company, died January 18 shortly after collapsing in his pew in St. Charles Church during 8 o’clock mass.

Born in the Town of Onondaga, Mr. McNeill was a son of Patrick and Margaret McNeill. He was a salesman for the Watkins Company about 20 years.

Survivors: His wife, Mrs. Alice Murphy McNeill; a son, Joseph P. McNeill of Syracuse; three daughters, Mrs. Michael P. Hayes, Misses Mary A. and Alice G. McNeill; three sisters, Mrs. John Graham of Nedrow, Mrs. John McClarity and Mrs. Thomas O’Neill of Syracuse, and two grandsons, M. Francis Hayes and Joseph P. McNeill Jr.

Antonio Monti, a native of the Tyrol and resident of Solvay for several years, died June 17 at Onondaga General Hospital. He was survived by two sons, William and Louis Monti, both of whom were in the armed forces.

Marcellino Viviani, 55, 240 Caroline Avenue, Solvay, died July 26. He was an employe of Crucible Steel Company of America and a member of the Solvay Tyrol Club. Survivors: His wife, Mrs. Adella Viviani; one son, Joseph Viviani; five daughters, Mrs. George Maestri, Mrs. John Demarchi,, Mrs. George Barry, Mrs. Joseph Zulberti and Miss Lena Viviani; 10 grandchildren; three brothers, Joseph. Silvio and Modesto Viviani; a sister, Mrs. Sylvia Salvaterri, and several nieces and nephews.

Mrs. Margaret Naughton Williams, 44, 135 Caroline Avenue, died June 30 at Syracuse Memorial Hospital. A native of Syracuse, she had lived the last 42 years in Solvay. She was a former employe of the Western Union Telegraph Company. Survivors: Her husband, Leonard R. Williams; three brothers, Joseph J., William J. and Ambrose J. Naughton.

Luigia Zoanetti, 306 Caroline Avenue, Solvay, died April 12. A native of The Tyrol, she had lived in Solvay 29 years. Survivors: Husband Frank Zoanetti; two sons, Bennie and Victor Zoanetti; two brothers, Gino Pederzolli of Solvay and Attore Pederzolli of Tyrol; three sisters, Mrs. Faustina Zoanetti of Solvay, Mrs. Joseph Artini of Tyrol and Miss Aldina Pederzolli of Tyrol, and several nieces and nephews.

Basketball: Solvay High School 1941-42
Solvay won the New York State Section III basketball championship, though it was only a one-game tournament and not at all like the championship Solvay would win the following season.

Solvay lost only one game during the 1941-42 season, and that was to arch rival Camillus High, which had beaten Solvay twice the year before, again the only losses the Bearcats suffered in league play. The Camillus jinx struck again on January 9, 1942. The score was 30-27. (Solvay and Camillus had a terrific rivalry in the 1930s and '40s, perhaps Central New York's fiercest.)

A week later, perhaps seething from its loss to Camillus, Solvay took it out on Marcellus High, 52-8. Joe Szczech paced Solvay with 15 points. Eight other Bearcats scored at least two points.

Solvay rolled the rest of the way, beating Baldwinsville, 47-31; Jordan High, 49-12; Split Rock High, 41-14, and then putting the Camillus jinx to rest, at least for awhile, 65-30, as center John Szczech, brother of Joe, scored 26 points, an uncommonly high total for the times.

Marcellus, seeking revenge for their humiliating defeat six weeks earlier, led Solvay, 21-19, at halftime of their rematch. After intermission, however, Solvay outscored Marcellus, 41-13, and chalked up another easy win, 60-34. Jimmy Rowe scored 22 points for Solvay, Henry Zamojski added 19.

On March 17 Solvay won the championship of the western division, beating Baldwinsville, 46-38. Four players scored all of Solvay's points — John Szczech 17, Joe Szczech 12, Jimmy Rowe 11 and Bob Himpler 6. All of Himpler's points came in the last two minutes and provided a cushion in what had been a nip-and-tuck game.

Three nights later Solvay edged the eastern division champ, North Syracuse, 41-40. The game was won at the foul line, as each team scored 15 baskets, but Solvay was successful on 11 free throws in 16 attempts, while North Syracuse converted only 10 of 24. In the preliminary game Baldwinsville won the county junior varsity championship, beating East Syracuse 24-15.

Solvay finished its season with that Section Three championship contest against Mexico High. The Bearcats were heavily favored and proved why, winning easily, 65-26. Scoring 60 points or more in those days was rare.

As good as the 1941-42 season was, an even better basketball season awaited.

Basketball: Industrial Leagues and more:
Solvay was represented in several industrial leagues that played at the Syracuse YMCA.

In one league Solvay Process had a team whose members included D. Demperio, Johnson, Pirro, Nick Demperio, Byron, Jack Henry and Fisk.

In another league the Pass & Seymour team included George Borrell, T. Borrell, McIntyre, Howard, Meer and one that was abreviated in a newspaper box score as Ch’opew’y.

Yet another was a team called Solvay Laboratory, perhaps a connection with Solvay Process. Names in one box score were Campbell, Adams, Radow, Spillett and LaManna.

The Syracuse Boys’ Club had an annual tournament that featured high school players and some a bit older. It was played just after the high school season ended.

One team that entered the 1942 tournament was the Cherry Road Aces, made up of several Solvay High students that either lived in Westvale and had attended Cherry Road School, or lived in Solvay and played sandlot basketball in the summers on the popular Cherry Road School outdoor court. The Aces were eliminated early, losing on April 1 to a team called the Shafers. Jimmy Rowe, one of Solvay High’s best players, scored 24 points in a losing cause.

As usual, the Herald Journal sports pages included several stories and statistics about local bowlers. Among the names that often popped up for their high scores in leagues at the Solvay Recreation Alleys were Art Bagozzi, Henry Bresadola, Len Capucilli, Watson Fay, Ace Ferretti, Primo Franchini, Oscar Hurst, Bill Lodder, Fritz Lutzy, Joe Mancabelli, Andy March, Angelo Mazzochi and Ted Veri

March 28: Solvay High School took first place in the Section 3 and 4 high school bowling tournament in Fulton. Billy Hurst of Solvay had the high three-game total of 591. The Solvay team score of 2,741 was the second highest ever recorded in the tournament. Other members of the team were Bill Del Favero, Angelo Aurelli, Dan Capucilli and Jack Mosher.

January 9: Solvay High School beat Baldwinsville, 2-1. Goals were scored by Zamojski and McAuliffe.

January 16: Solvay again beat Baldwinsville, this time 3-2. Goals were scored by Kulak, Raus and Renders.

February 19: Solvay and Skaneateles played to a 2-2 tie. Renders and Demerski scored Solvay goals.

Little was found on the 1942 baseball season, which apparently was not particularly successful for Solvay High. The Onondaga County League champion was Baldwinsville, which late in the season broke a three-way first place tie with Camillus and Skaneateles.

Oddly, the only Solvay game I've found so far had the Bearcats beating Baldwinsville, 9-5, on May 18. In their sports stories, newspapers of the time often didn't use first names of the players, particularly in reporting high school games.

The Baldwinsville Gazette and Farmers Journal (May 21, 1942) printed a box score of the Solvay game. Here are the Solvay players and my educated guesses as to their first names. (Send corrections to me via the email address at the bottom of the page.)

Infielders were Louis Zogby (1b), Harold Haight (2b), Jimmy Rowe (ss) and Primo Ponti (3b).

Outfielders were Bob Himpler, John Mosher, Frank Brostek and Richard Salvagni. Also listed was a boy whose name appeared as Lompski, but I could find no such name elsewhere. Interestingly, he played parts of the game at every outfield position; at least, according to the box score.

Jim Farrell was the catcher and Hank Zamojski the winning pitcher. I believe Brostek also did some pitching and perhaps so did Jim O'Leary, who also pitched for the Solvay Process softball team.

Several of these boys played that summer on a team called the Shamrocks, who competed in Syracuse's Central City League.

August 7: Solvay Process won the Herald-Journal trophy and the Central New York softball championship with a 7-2 win over Columbian Rope of Auburn at the YMCA field.

Jimmy O’Leary, Solvay’s 17-year-old pitching star, gave up only three hits. Jack Henry was the Solvay hitting star, with a home run and a double. Earlier in the tournament O’Leary pitched a no-hitter to eliminate last year’s champions, the U. S. Hoffmans team.

August 29: Harold “Shifty” Gears was once hailed as the greatest softball pitcher in the country. So said the Syracuse Herald-Journal in announcing that Gears would be pitching for the Rochester Kodaks against the Solvay Process in the New York State Softball Tournament at YMCA Field on Burnet Avenue.

That was bad news for the Process team, which was held to one hit in a 5-1 loss. That one hit was a home run by George Borrell. Jimmy O’Leary and John Szczech split the pitching chores for the Solvay Process team, whose members also included Louis Speziali, Ray Zack, Louis Montreal, William Duxbury, Amos Speziali, Andrew March, Tony Montreal, Jack Henry, Red Giovanini, Emil Sagehorn, Bill Hurley, Nick Demperio and Mike Campoletti.

Football: Solvay High School
September 25: Solvay trounced East Syracuse, 33-6, in the opening game for both teams. Bob Himpler and Jim O’Leary scored two touchdowns each, with an O’Leary pass to Henry Zamojski accounting for the fifth touchdown. Glenn Robinson was successful on three of five extra point attempts.

October 2: Solvay beat Baldwinsville, 6-0, scoring the game’s only touchdown on a 15-yard pass from Jim O’Leary to right end Henry Zamojski. Late in the game Baldwinsville threatened, reaching the Solvay four-yard-line, but the Bearcat defense stiffened and forced B-ville to give up the ball on downs.

October 9: Solvay defeated Fayetteville, 12-0, behind touchdowns by tackle Glenn Robinson, on a pass interception, and Henry Zamojski, who scored on a 25-yard pass from Jim O’Leary.

November 20: Solvay’s Onondaga County League champions are saluted in the Syracuse Herald-Journal. Posing for a photo with coach Earl Hadley were team members Richard Onderkirk, Charles Atwood, Charles Barnes, Edward Webster, Richard Orr, Richard Osada, Ronald McCadden, Henry Ponti (manager), Samuel Collelli, Anthony Santaferra, Richard Forger, Joseph Cilani, Richard Tarolli, James Farrell, Robert Demerski, Dan Canestraro, Richard Salvagni, Francis Sharkey, Richard Ryan (assistant manager), Gerald Raussa, Robert Kulak, Fred Amellia, Robert Hempler, Joseph Szczech, Glen Robinson, Donald Glisson, Henry Zamojski and Vincent Lopez (assistant manager).

Freshman team:
October 10: Solvay’s freshman football team beat Roosevelt High, 12-6, at Kirk Park. The winning touchdown was a 95-yard run by Stanton with just two minutes to play. Solvay’s first touchdown was set up by an 80-yard pass play from Champlain to Hand, who was tackled two yards short of the goal. [The newspaper didn’t mention first names or the player actually scored the touchdown.]

Basketball: Solvay High 1942-43
Hopes were high when Solvay opened its 1942-43 season, but probably few imagined just how successful it would be. Solvay teams often scrimmaged City League teams, but this year they actually scheduled them for two games that counted. Solvay won them both, beating Onondaga Valley Academy. 34-28, on November 20, then coming from behind on December 1 to beat Nottingham, 33-32. Henry Zamojski and Joe Szczech provided most of the points, though it was a free throw by Primo Ponti that provided the margin of victory over Nottingham.

The Onondaga County League season got underway on December 4 with a 48-39 win over Split Rock. Zamojski led the way with 11 points, Felix Mozo and Harold Haight chipped in 10 apiece. A week later Solvay beat Camillus, 28-23, which was always satisfying. And before the Christmas break, on December 19, Solvay topped Marcellus High, 52-20, behind Joe Szczech's 22 points.

Solvay High was just getting warmed up. (Continued in 1943.)

Most items are from articles in the Syracuse Herald-Journal
and its Sunday edition, the Herald-American.