Syracuse Journal, October 13
Simultaneous fires keep firemen busy

While nearly 900 students went about their school work on the floors above, fire was smoldering unknown to them in 250 tons of soft coal in the boiler room bins of Solvay High School on Hazard Street today.

A few blocks away, in the basement of the Prospect Hose Company fire engine house at Freeman Avenue and Woods Road, a similar fire in hard coal gave Solvay firemen a battle for more than an house.

Although coal gas was generated to some extent by the burning coal in the high school, the students on the floors above were not endangered, the fumes being wafted out of the school by ventilation in the fireproof boiler room, which also removed danger of an explosion.

However, the dangerous gases were more intense at the fire house where several firemen complained of severe headaches from the fumes after the fire had been controlled.

The coincidental outbreaks of two coal pile fires, attributed to spontaneous combustion in the large fuel supples, led village officials to call upon the Syracuse fire department for advice in handling the situation.

At the request of Frederick Darrow, president of the Solvay school board, Fire Chief Edward W. Gieselman of Syracuse sent H. V. Trotter, master mechanic of the Syracuse fire department, to the Solvay High School to check over the extent of the fire.

Trotter advised school officials to have a length of perforated pipe with a drill point made, to be driven into the burning soft coal at various points in order to spray water throughout the huge pile. In that way the fire could be reached without shifting the entire supply, as water pour atop the coal had no effect on the fire.

While school janitors David Taylor and Ray Haley watched over the smoldering pile, the work of making the pipe, supervised by Solvay Fire Chief Bert Larkin, was started this morning shortly after 8 o'clock, and completed early this afternoon.

C. A. Duvall, Solvay superintendent of schools, said the fire probably would be quelled within a short time this afternoon with the perforated pipe to spray water through the coal.

The smoldering 250 tons of coal in the high school is about one-half of the school's regular supply of 500 tons and cost the village from $5 to $6 a ton, being worth at least $1,250.

In Prospect firehouse 12 tons of hard coal were stored when that fire broke out. The heat became so intense in that fireproof building that basement windows cracked. Adding to the danger of explosion was the fact that coal gas so filled the basement that firemen were able to enter and fight the stubborn blaze only by stooping low and working rapidly in short shifts with shovels and hose lines.

In both cases the fires were discovered by janitors.

Young burglar shot by policeman
Solvay policeman Peter Dadey, lying in wait inside often-burgled and vandalized Prospect School on Woods Road, confronted three teenagers on February 22 after they broke a window to open one of the doors to the building. Dadey waited until the intruders had gone to the basement, but they failed to heed his order to halt.

The three boys soon scattered, but Dadey pursued one of them, yelling, "Stop, or I'll shoot!" Finally, that's just what Dadey did, claiming he purposely fired wild, never intending to hit the boy. However, the bullet struck fourteen-year-old Carl Christoforo of 1225 Milton Avenue in the cheek, the bullet lodging in his head.

At first it appeared doctors would not be able to remove the bullet, but surgery was successful a day later, and young Christoforo recovered. His two companions wound up arrested and briefly held at a juvenile detention home.

Before being taken to St. Joseph Hospital, the boy told police he wanted to die so that he would rejoin his recently departed father. It turned out Christoforo was the oldest of ten children. His mother had recently re-married. The Syracuse Journal published a photo of the boy's nine siblings praying around his hospital bed.

Trolley service ends
The final electronic trolley from Syracuse ended January 14 at 12:45 a.m. when the last trolley swung around the loop at Hall and Milton Avenues.

Five hours later, the West Solvay bus left Syracuse to make its first trip. The bus will run through Milton Avenue to Darrow Avenue, then begin its return trip to Syracuse.

Solvay had been served by trolley service along Milton Avenue for 42 years.

One ride too many
Former Solvay resident Frank Femia, out on bail for a robbery committed almost two years ago, was killed gangland style February 16 in Olean, New York, taken for a ride a dumped along the Olean-Salamanca Road. He had been arrested with Joseph Valerino of Lakeland. Valerino was convicted and at the time of Femia's death was serving a 10-year sentence in Attica prison.

Former resident killed in Spain
On September 16 former Solvay resident Gregorio Garcia, 41, was reported killed by rebels in Casillias, Spain, according to word received by his sister, Mrs. Lorenzo Fernandez, 409 First Street, Solvay. A second former village resident, Frank Nunez, who'd lived at 300 Cogswell Avenue, was captured by Fascist forces in Sobradillo, Spain.

Garcia had lived at 320 First Street, Solvay, and worked for the Solvay Process Company. In 1928, his homesick wife persuaded Garcia to return to Spain, taking their three American-born children with them.

Unveil monument to veterans
An estimated 1,000 residents attended the unveiling of a monument to veterans of foreign wars in a ceremony held November 1 at Woods Road Park. The monument a simple shaft of Onondaga Litholite, featured sculptured heads of a soldier, sailor, aviator and army officer. It was created by Syracuse sculptor Alex Mac Law.

Ceremonies included a parade from Milton and Darrow Avenues to Woods Road. The band of Squadron 41, Sons of the American Legion, was featured, along with the Solvay High School Band, National Guard units, the Stanley B. Pennock Post of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, and other veterans organizations.


Valedictorian, salutatorian named
Marco Terziev was named valedictorian of Solvay High School's June graduating class. Francis Balduzzi was named salutatorian.

Syracuse Journal, July 30
Harem-like life comes to end

His charmlike life at 107 Worth Avenue, Solvay, was definitely over for 58-year-old Fred Bosco today as he was held at the county jail on a bigamy charge for arraignment at 7 o'clock tonight before Justice of the Peace Ambrose Ginnelly in Solvay.

His two wives, who have lived together in peace and harmony for months with the graying, but still dapper, double-husband, are separated now.

His nine children and both bewildered and surprised by the sudden arrest of their father, whose marital status was his own secret until an anonymous telephone message to Assistant District Attorney William H. Bowers brought deputy sheriffs to the Bosco threshold yesterday.

Equally bewildered is one of this wives, the former Immaculena Di Massi,, who was taken to Onondaga County Hospital in a serious condition from the World Avenue home, where she had been under the nursing care of the other wife, the former Giuseppa De Fabio. The latter is remaining temporarily as the Solvay home. The women are close friends.

Most of Boscos children, all born to another wife, now dead, are grown, reared by the inveterate bridegroom's wives.

The timing was never explained by the newspaper in a subsequent story in which Bosco said his first wife died 20 years earlier, and his second wife, having health problems, went to stay for awhile with her family in New Jersey. Unable to supervise his children, Bosco married again, and when wife number two returned from New Jersey, he said he couldn't bring himself to ask wife number three to leave.

Mrs. Filomena Barnell, 80, 900 Cogswell Avenue, Solvay, died January 1 at her home. A native of Ferrazzano, Italy, Mrs. Barnell and her late husband, Costanzo, arrived in the United States in 1873. They were considered the first Italians to reside in Solvay. Survivors: Four son, Anthony A. Barnell, Los Angeles; attorney John W. Barnell, Syracuse; Jerry J. Barnell and Michael A. Barnell, Solvay; a daughter, Mrs. Anthony Valerino, Solvay, and 14 grandchildren.

William Bome, 24, 206 William Street, Solvay, a chef, died March 15 in an automobile accident on West Genesee Street and Orchard Road. He was a passenger in a car driven by James Lydon, 23, of 609 Avery Avenue. Lydon was critically injured when his car skidded on a curve and crashed into a tree. Also injured was Frank Berbeck, 239 Caroline Avenue, Solvay, a passenger in the back seat. Another passenger, Henry Bresadola, 238 Charles Avenue, escaped injury.

Mr. Bome's survivors included his father, Giacinto Bome; four brothers, Frank, Isadore, Silvio and Giacinto Bome Jr., and two sisters, Mrs. Henry Capella ad Mrs. Modesta Maestri, all of Solvay.

George Driscoll, 40, veteran of the World War, was fatally injury when run over by a New York Central train east of the village. Driscoll was a lifelong resident of Solvay. Survivors: His mother, Mrs. Thomas Driscoll; two brothers, Rev. Thomas Driscoll of Solvay and William Driscoll; three sisters, Mrs. Michael J. Fahey, Mrs. Harold Powell and Miss Agnes Driscoll, and several nieces and nephews.
Miss Mary E. FitzGerald, teacher and principal in the Solvay school system for 30 years, died January 21. She taught at Boyd School and was later principal of both Intermediate and Prospect Schools. Surviving were a sister, Mrs. Charles Daubney, and four brothers, Michael Fitzgerald of Solvay, and Garrett, James and Lawrence FitzGerald of Liverpool.
Jacob Hildebrand, 56, of 205 Charles Avenue, Solvay, a policeman on the Solvay force for many years, died May 4 in Crouse-Irving Hospital where he had been taken for an operation. Surviving were his wife, Mrs. Elizabeth O’Neill Hildebrand; two daughters, Mrs. Paul Demerski and Miss Marion Hildebrand, and two sons, Leon and Jacob Hildebrand Jr., all of Solvay.
Joseph Massello, 63, of 102 Hazard Street, Solvay, was killed by a hit-run driver May 22 on Park Street, Syracuse. Survivors: Mrs. Carmella Massello of Ferrazzano, Italy; a son, Nicholas Massello of Syracuse, and a daughter in Italy. Massello lived with a friend, James Louise. Driver of the hit-run car was a Syracuse teenager who was later caught, convicted of the crime and sentenced to nine months in prison.

William L. Neill, 81, described as the first employee of the Solvay Process Company, died January 6 at his home, 3009 West Genesee Street. Neill was a nationally noted metallurgical engineer,, born in Mobile, Alabama, and educated in Europe where he met William B. Cogswell, founder of the Solvay Process Company.

Neill assisted Cogswell in negotiating with the Solvay brothers in Belgium for permission to use their process for production of soda ash in the United States. Neill was placed in charge of the chemical department when the Solvay plant opened.

He retired in 1921. He was survived by his wife, Mrs. Louise Babcock Neill; a daughter, Mrs. Burton Persae of Syracuse, and a brother James W. Neill of Pasadena, California. James Neill also was a metallurgical engineer, and with his brother worked for Cogswell at a lead mine in Southern Missouri before the idea for a chemical plant in Central New York was born.

Mrs. Virginia C. Pressi, 60, of 330 Darrow Avenue, Solvay, died May 12 at Crouse-Irving Hospital Syracuse, two weeks after being stricken with trichinosis traced to pork sausage purchases at an unnamed Solvay meat market. Seven other cases of the disease were traced to the same source. The others all recovered.

A native of Italy, Mrs. Pressi had lived in Solvay for 30 years. Survivors: her husband, Egidio Pressi; a son, Joseph Pressi, and a daughter, Mrs. Frank Lodetti, all of Solvay.

Albert L. Shaver, 33, 312 Belle Isle Road, Solvay, died November 21 while unloading coal in the Iroquois China Company yard on Milton Avenue in Solvay. Hours earlier, as he left home, he told hi wife, Lucille, "I'm going to die today."

She urged him to say home, but he insisted on going to work, where he complained to fellow employees of a severe cold. During the afternoon he collapsed while attempting to reach the company's first aid room. He died a few minutes later.

Besides his wife, he was survived by a daughter, Thelma; a son, Albert Shaver Jr.; his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Herman Shaver; two sisters and two brothers.

James Zuk, 48, 2245 Milton Avenue, Solvay, a New York Central section hand, was killed August 13 when hit by a train at the Park Street underpass in Syracuse. Zuk and three others were working near the west end of the bridge. The others leaped to safety. Apparently they did not hear the freight train approaching

A native of Poland, Zuk had been in the United States for 22 years. His only relative was a cousin,, Pauline Reszko, who also lived t the Milton Avenue address.


Off year for basketball team
At the end of one of its worst seasons, the Solvay High School basketball team found something to shout about on March 6 when it handed Jordan High School its first loss of the season, 31-27, on the Solvay Court. High scorer was L. Mascette with 11 points; Carman Pirro had seven. The Bearcats would not make the playoffs, winning only three league games.

Solvay girls win bowling tourney
Solvay won the first Onondaga County high school girls' bowling tournament. It was held March 28 at the Masonic alleys in Skaneateles. Eight schools participated. A week later, the boy's bowling team finished 16th among 23 teams in the scholastic bowling tournament in Sherrill. The event was won by Fayetteville High School.

Skaneateles rallies, beats Solvay
Solvay High School's baseball team tasted defeat for the first time on June 2 ,losing to Skaneateles, 7-4, in the Onondaga County League playoffs. Solvay led, 4-2, until the sixth inning when Skaneateles scored three times, adding two more in the top of the seventh.

Solvay players in the game included Borrell, ss; DelVecchio, 2b; Aurelli, lf; Pirro, 1b; Speziali, rf; Grobsmith, rf; Cizenski, cf; Mascette, 3b; Szczech, c; Pettitt, p-cf,, and Weslowski, who came in to pitch the seventh inning. Miguel also appeared as a pinch hitter for Szczech. As was the style in those days. the Journal did not identify players by their first names.

Track team wins county meet
On June 6, Solvay High School won its second consecutive Onondaga County track and field championship at Griffin Field. Solvay tallied 50 points. Liverpool High School was second with 31-1/2 points and Baldwinsville was third with 25-1/2.

Coached by Joe Pausa, Solvay featured a mile relay team that won 15 consecutive races. The four runners were Alex Sadowski, James Tearney, Floyd Taglaferri and Charles Rowe.

Other members of the team were high jumper Henry Capella; Frank Vellano, who competed in the broad jump, pole vault and the 880-yard relay; Phillipo Raymond, who competed in the pole vault and broad jump; miler Santo Nicit; sprinter Ben Zoanetti, and Carman Louise and Rocco Pirro, who competed in the shot put. Rowe, a member of the mile relay team, also set a county record in the broad jump that year, leaping 21 feet, 2 inches.

Undefeated — until the last game
Solvay High reached its sixth and final Onondaga County Football League game undefeated, but twice tied, only to lose to undefeated league champion Liverpool, 9-0 on November 9. The Syracuse Journal listed the Solvay line-up: Szczech, LE; B. Pettitt, LT; Angarano, LG; Tindall, C; Widger, RG; H. Pettitt, RT; Speziali, RE; Vellano, QB; Mancabelli, LH; Brostek, RH; Aurelli, FB. Subs: Covey, Rowe.
Items are from stories in the Syracuse Journal
and its Sunday edition, the Journal-American
For more on Solvay way back when, check out
the Solvay-Geddes Historical Society