January 5: Stage a raid and they will come
Several hundred people threatened prohibition enforcement agents during a noonday raid on the Italian-American restaurant at 101 Cogswell Avenue, Solvay.

January 14: Leave it to the professionals
Manuel Alonzo, 7, through his father, John Alonzo,accepted $150 in settlement of his suit against the village of Solvay. The boy was burned about the face and hands when he experimented with an unexploded rocket he picked up at the Solvay baseball grounds following the annual Feast of the Assumption field days in August, 1929.

(It was not uncommon to find unexploded rockets where the fireworks display originated. I was a witness to a near miss in the late 1940s when a group of Russet Lane youngsters attempted to fire a rocket.)

January 20: Popular place
For the second time in three weeks, federal prohibition enforcement agents raided the cafe at 2257 Milton Avenue, Solvay, and confiscated six barrels of beer.
January 22: And a few doors down ...
Battering down a concrete wall in a secret cellar of the premises at 2263-2265 Milton Avenue, federal dry agents under Assistant Deputy Administrator Duncan F. Craig uncovered a cache of nearly 500 gallons of cider. Agents also searched the upper floors of the premises and found six and a half barrels of beer. A male who gave the name of Benjamin Veri was taken before a United States commissioner charged with violation of the prohibition laws and released under $1,000 bail for a hearing later.
January 23: Sixth verse, same as the first
For the sixth consecutive day dry enforcement raiders under Assistant Deputy Duncan F. Craig visited Solvay yesterday afternoon, raided a place at 2215 Milton Avenue, and arrested Thomas McCue on charges of violating the prohibition enforcement law. Three barrels of beer and quantities of alcohol, whiskey and gin were found.
January 31: It's a wonder Milton Avenue wasn't flooded
Two hundred and forty pint bottles of home brew went gurgling down the sewers of a cafe at 2019 Milton Avenue, Solvay, yesterday afternoon after a squad of dry enforcement agents raided the place.
March 12: She did it without GPS
Mrs. Mary Baczewski, 83, of 301 Center Street, who had been missing for three days, was located at Loretto Rest, where she had lived for two years until recently. Mrs. Baczewski left the Center Street home when her daughter stepped out for several minutes, and completed the seven-mile walk later in the afternoon. Officials at the home informed her daughter, Mrs. Agnes Smolinski, where her mother was after reading of her disappearance in a newspaper.
March 17: Charles R. Hall elected mayor
The largest voter turnout so far in the history of the village saw Charles R. Hall, Democrat, elected mayor over Frank W. Craig, Republican, by 120 votes. Trustees elected were Morris P. Fennelly, Democrat, over incumbent Republican Matthew Gleason, 579 to 501: John Falkowski, Republican, over Edward J. Jutton, Democrat, 428 to 383; incumbent George P. Rarick, Democrat, over Charles Renders, Republican, 468 to 368, and incumbent James A. Cottrell, Democrat, over Michael Radford, 460-368. Two trustees were elected in the second war, one of fill a vacancy. The election shifted power over to the Democrats.
March 23: If at first you don't succeed
Three barrels of beer were seized in a raid at 2263 Milton Avenue, Solvay, and Benjamin Veri was arrested by federal prohibition enforcement agents.
April 6: Democrats waste no time
Mayor Charles R. Hall and a Democratic majority took control of Solvay and made changes immediately. William J. Burns was named village clerk, Asher Cohen was selected as village attorney, Edward Jutton as treasurer, Fred Luchsinger as auditor, John Friedli as highway superintendent, and J. J. Norton as superintendent of light and water. Theodore Grant, Paul Tarolli and John Stanton were name assessors.

April 10: A first for Helen McCarthy Rivette
For the first time since enactment of the prohibition enforcement law,a woman attorney appeared before United States Commissioner Haight Friday morning, defending a man charged with violation of the dry laws.

The attorney was Mrs. Helen McCarthy Rivette of Solvay. Her client was Frank Barry, 1709 Milton Avenue, Solvay, whose premises were raided by dry agents some time ago. Mrs. Rivette sought to have the charges dismissed on the grounds that the description of the premises in the search warrant was faulty. She presented photographs to back up her claim, but Commissioner Haight denied the motion.

June 4: A really big show
Miss Emily Tindall was queen of the 12th annual festival of the Solvay schools on the Solvay Intermediate School grounds, Woods and Orchard Roads. Miss Tindall is the daughter of Charles and Margaret Tindall.

Participating were almost every student from the four village schools. Thre was a musical program by the Solvay High School band and mass physical demonstrations, including a Maypole dance, a Dutch dance, calisthenic drill, rifle drills, military marching and a flag drill.

June 6: Did Al Capone send you?
A motorcycle-car chase that started at Fairmount Corners and ended in Wolf Hollow, a wooded area off Onondaga Boulevard, was merely Act One in the wild story featuring local police and some would-be Chicago gangsters.
June 11: Better luck next time
Federal prohibition agents raided a place at 111 Gertrude Avenue and obtained one pint of beer and one pint of cider. A man who gave the name of Jack Stapleton was arraigned before a commissioner and ordered held on a Volstead act charge of possession.

June 17: Oh, sure, blame The Solvay Gang
An early morning gun battle in Syracuse send police on a merry chase.

July 16: Federal agents shift targets
Prohibition enforcement agents continued their drive at the “roadhouse belt” on the outer edge of Solvay, raiding a place at 329 Fay Road and arresting Alexander and Jenny Roberts, alleged proprietors.

The Roberts place is directly across the road from another lively night resort which was raided last week, and within a short distance of several others which agents have searched at intervals since the drive was launched.

August 22: Next time simply give her the gong
Mrs. Mary Bullinski, 40, of 2059 Milton Avenue, was dropped to the sidewalk from the third-story window of her home when a prank went wrong during a party. She was knocked unconscious, but fortunately survived without breaking any bones.

Andrew Chilski, 42, of the Milton Avenue address, was arrested. He said he grabbed Mrs. Bullinski by the legs and held her out the window, but in trying to pull her back, he slipped and released his hold. Chilski told police he'd been annoyed by Mrs. Bullinski's singing.

August 29: The war on booze continues
Federal prohibition agents raided 112 Cogswell Avenue, Solvay. They seized a gallon of wine, pint of whiskey and barrel of beer, the wine and whiskey being found in a trap beneath pails in a cupboard. They arrested Michael Louise.

September 3: It even intensifies
Syracuse and Solvay speakeasy proprietors were herded in droves in one of the most spectacular single-day drives yet made by Deputy Administrator Lowell R. Smith and Agent Duncan Craig.

The raiders dodged thrown bottles in Solvay that just grazed their heads and smashed against the wall. They seized two pints of beer in the 2100 block of Milton Avenue.

Four barrels of beer were seized at the Sellinger Hotel;. two halves were taken at Kohl’s at 325 Butternut Street, and at 924 North Townsend Street they secured two barrels.

Another squad found a pint of whiskey and five barrels of beer at 2267 Milton Avenue and arrested Michael Baratta, and Thomas Kennedy was arrested as the bottle thrower in the 2100 block. Both posted bail with Solvay police.

A squad entered a barroom at 820 Danforth Street that was filled with customers. Agents seized 11 barrels of beer, two half barrels, half a pint of gin, pint of rye and five quarts of ale.

Marie Storms, a frequent offender was arrested in a raid on 1004 South McBride Street, where the agents had to crash two doors.

Another party of raiders went to a hotel at Split Rock, seized a barrel of beer and arrested Edward Hayes of 415 Rich Street.

Police Detective Cavaney’s squad in the meantime was doing a little raiding, and Mrs. Kate Prosky, another old offender, was arraigned before Commissioner Haight, after a raid at 816-1/2 South State Street.

September 9: Rough way to start your work day
A burst of flames after an explosion of a gas stove at the State Fair imperiled the life of Anthony Floreck, 307 First Street, Solvay. Floreck escaped with a badly scorched face and slight burns about the eyes. Employed at a refreshment stand, Floreck was attempting to light the stove when it exploded.
September 10: Guys, you're becoming tiresome
Another raid was made in Solvay with the arrest of Michael Barrata at 2265 Milton Avenue, and the seizure of four barrels of beer, a quart of whiskey and two quarts of gin.

October 14: Future of Solvay depot in doubt
Syracuse Journal

Charles R. Hall, Democratic mayor of the village of Solvay, will lose his job as ticket agent at the New York Central depot in Solvay, if officials of that railroad are successful in their application to the public service commission for permission to abolish the office there.

At a hearing before R. B. Burnside, assistant counsel of the commission at the courthouse Tuesday afternoon, the railroad brought out that receipts from the sale of tickets failed to pay the agent’s salary. They also brought out that express business is handled through the Syracuse office with more frequent collections and deliveries than under the old system.

C. E. Olp, superintendent of the Syracuse division, and J. M. Reilly, express agent, testified receipts at the station last year were $1,388, as compared with the agent’s pay of $1,633. The officials said the railroad proposes to maintain the depot and have trains stop there as under the present schedule. Passengers, however, would buy tickets on the train instead of at the depot.

Village Attorney A. S. Cohen, W. J. Burns, village clerk, and Zef Pieri, trustee and steamship agent, and Claude Duvall, school superintendent, expressed the belief the agent should be maintained for the convenience of the 10,000 residents of the village. They were unable, however, to show any great use of the ticket agency, and that, the commissioner explained, was the important point at issue.

October 22: May the audience be even larger
More than one hundred residents are featured when Solvay's volunteer fire department presents "The College Flapper," a musical play presented to raise money for the firemen's annual convention. The show is repeated the next night.
October 23: A lot of beer goes to waste
There was a raid at 239 Charles Avenue, Solvay, which upset 50 angry patrons. Prohibition agents termed the place an elaborate brewery. Large quantities of mash and equipment were seized, along with 32 half barrels of beer.
November 12: Meanwhile, back on Milton Avenues ...
Federal prohibition enforcement agents found 100 pints of beer and 10 gallons of mash on the third floor of a padlocked building at 2237 Milton Avenue, Solvay.
November 14: Ousted repairman wins his fight
Justice William M. Ross ordered village officials to restore Howard Houseman, to his job as garage repairman, a $175 a month job, with back pay from May 7. Houseman was one of several Republicans ousted when a Democratic administration under Mayor Charles R. Hall went into office.

October 11: New pair of shoes for Tindall
Syracuse American, October 11
The outstanding player on the Syracuse University football squad in its intersection battle with Ohio Wesleyan yesterday was to have received a pair of New Algonquin shoes donated by H. W. Cook, president of the A. E. Nettleton Company.

Coach Vic Hanson and newspapermen were to have selected the lucky Orangeman, but when it came time to check up after the game, there was no one who could name an outstanding player on the Syracuse team. It was agreed that team play, with every individual contributing, was the reason for the remarkable game played by Syracuse in its 48-7 victory.

Finally the problem was solved by placing the names of the players in a hat. Manager Jack Evans drew the name of Frank Tindall, varsity guard, and the lucky Solvay youngster will call at Nettleton’s tomorrow to get fitted.

Tindall, incidentally, played a great game and on two occasions recovered Bishop fumbles.

Solvay native Frank Tindall played both basketball and football at Syracuse and in his senior year was voted the most valuable player on his team and was named an honorable mention All-American guard.

He played professionally for the Toronto Argonauts and was moved to tackle and was a conference all-star in 1933, his rookie season. Toronto won the Grey Cup that year. Years later he was inducted into the Canadian Football League Hall of Fame.

However, it was as coach at Canada's Queen;s College that he is best remembered. His teams won eight intercollegiate titles and one national title. The Frank Tindall trophy is given each year to the top college football coach in Canada. He also is remembered on the Queen's campus where the football field was named in his honor.

He died in 1993 at the age of 85.

May 20: Good news for another Tindall
Syracuse Journal

Slowly recovering his sight after spending a week on the verge of blindness, William Tindall Jr., 122 Charles Avenue, Solvay, was discharged from the Hospital of the Good Shepherd Tuesday night.

A tiny piece of metal which lodged behind his eye last Thursday imperiled Tindall’s sight. Physicians who have studied his case declare it is impossible to remove the piece of metal, but believe nature will provide its own remedy.

Employed at the Eastern Greyhound Line garage, 601 Hiawatha Boulevard, as a repairman, Tindall was hammering on a small shaft in an effort to force it into place. A tiny chip of metal from the shaft suddenly flew through the air and pierced the lower eyelid of Tindall’s left eye, struck a bone and ricocheted deeply behind the eye socket. The only possible way to remove it, X-ray examination revealed, would be to extract the eye.

For two days Tindall was blind in the left eye. Then his vision began to return slowly and X-ray examination revealed that the metal fragment was becoming coated with flesh in such a position that it no longer affected the nerves.

Wednesday Tindall was able to see through the affected eye. His sight was blurred, but physicians believe it will improve daily.

Several similar cases are reported to have occurred at the Greyhound garage. In each case repairmen were working on the air brakes of the large busses, when steel splinters lodged in their eyes.

January 2: White man's history
Syracuse Journal

Miss Rosina Scaia of Solvay has sculpted a wax group of Pere Le Moyne, demonstrating the value of the salt springs at Onondaga Lake to a brave of the Onondaga tribe. This piece of history is now on loan at the Charles E. White library in Butternut Street.

Miss Scaia built the group under the direction of Miss Cornelia Martens and Miss Christine Wallier of the Solvay library, where the sculpture will be permanently displayed.

Whether a lesson from Father Le Moyne was necessary has since been questioned by historians who believe local Indians knew very well the value of the salt springs and had been putting them to good use for their own purposes for a long time before Europeans arrived.

July 5: Diploma didn't come easily
Syracuse American

Being an honor student and the youngest girl to receive a diploma in the history of the Warners High School meant some real sacrifices for Miss Margaret Peterson, 16, who had to walk three miles daily to attend her classes. Before entering Warners High, Miss Peterson went to Boyd School in Solvay.

When severe weather made it necessary to get some kind of a ride to school, the plucky young girl walked to the nearest stop on the Rochester & Syracuse Railroad, which was about a mile from her home. The trolley, however, did not make satisfactory connections with her classes, and Miss Peterson was either an hour early or a half-hour late.

October 25: Musical family
Syracuse American

A self-made musician is William Rothwell, 200 Davis Street, who, at the age of 76. still finds plenty of time and energy to entertain himself and others with his ‘cello playing.

Mr. Rothwell, who is an accomplished musician, has never had a lesson on the ‘cello. At the age of 42 he bought the instrument and picked up a few tunes by himself. Since that time his ability has increased until now, despite his age, he plays before school and church groups throughout the city.

Music seems to come naturally to Mr. Rothwell, whose whole family is gifted along a musical line. His son, Herbert, is playing in “East Wind,” a new musical show running in Baltimore, Maryland, which opens Tuesday in New York City.

Herbert Rothwell has had an exceptional record on Broadway, singing in such shows as “New Moon,” “Follow Through,” “Good News” and “Vagabond King.” He was graduated from Solvay High School and from Syracuse University in 1923, where he studied voice. Following his graduation he went to New York, where he took up voice training under several well-known teachers.

Warren Rothwell, the second son, plays the violin, and is a member of the musical group at the First Baptist Church. His wife is a pianist, as is Mrs. William Rothwell, and they often accompany their husbands on the piano.

Mr. Rothwell, his son, Warren, and his daughter-in-law are regular features on the Sunday morning program of the Brown Memorial Church, of which they are members. They provide ‘cello, violin and organ trios.

Olga Harkovecz went on to graduate from Solvay High School in the 1940s. She was working in the office of Pass & Seymour in 1951 when she married Stephen Melnick, who operated the Melnick farm on the Meridian-Weedsport Road. In 2011 the Melnicks celebrated their 60th anniversary.

Raymond Barone, seven-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Antonio Barone, 207 Abell Avenue, Solvay, was fatally injured January 11 in a coasting accident on his street. His sled ran into a car driven by Herbert Hewitt, 205 Center Street.

Classmates at Solvay High School were active and honorary bearers at funeral services March 22 for Eleanor Mary Bleich, 13, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Gustave Bleich, who died Thursday in People’s Hospital.

Burial was in Myrtle Hill Cemetery. Honorary bearers included Vera Shortt, Genevieve Brock, Edith Mancabelli, Marion Hall, Mary O’Brien, Eleanor Newton, Ruth Torrey, Irene Chamberlain and Geraldine Leachenar. Active bearers were Robert Bleich, Wendall Morris, John Snigg, William Feisinger, John Conway and Samuel Emlich.

Harry Welch, 40, of 2320 Milton Avenue, Solvay, was fatally injured in an automobile accident on June 22 near Mattydale.

Donald Hall, 31, 110 Russet Lane, Solvay, driver of the heavy sedan, is in St. Joseph Hospital with minor hurts. He suffered numerous contusions and bruises about the body.

The accident occurred shortly after 1 a.m. Hall was driving south on the main highway on a straight stretch of road when the sedan suddenly slid off the concrete, plowed 75 feet along the brink of a small ditch, and finally went over the ditch and crashed into a tree.

Syracuse Journal, July 8
A century of life, encompassing the most stirring events in modern world history, terminated yesterday with the death of Giocondo Pieri of 105 Cogswell Avenue, Solvay. Mr. Pieri, linguist and traveler, was one of the few persons in Central New York ever to attain the age of 100.

He had been in failing health since a year ago at this time, when his wife and companion for more than 70 years, Mrs. Monica Giananni Pieri, passed away at the age of 100.

Born in 1831, the son of a prominent family in Tuscany, Mr. Pieri, at the age of 17, began to travel. His wanderings took him across the ocean 13 times and into France, Spain, Italy, England and Africa. During those years of travel he mastered five languages.

It was while making one of his frequent tours that he met his wife, a descendant of Italian nobility. Mrs. Pieri was a daughter of Signora Clementina Fabbri Gianinni, who was a daughter of La Contess Castiglioni of Florence, Italy.

Following their marriage in Lucca Tuscany, they came to the United States and established residence in Buffalo, where for many years Mr. Pieri conducted a statuary shop. Five years ago they came to live with their only surviving son, Zefferino Pieri of 105s Cogswell Avenue, Solvay village trustee.

Despite their advanced years, both Mr. and Mrs. Pieri retained a keen interest in the events and news of the modern world. They read several newspapers daily, and frequently joined in a discussion of current events. Mr. Pieri was a staunch advocate of Mussolini, and always kept in close touch with the affairs of Italy.

Francis T. Cleary, 53, of 401 Center Street, died at St. Joseph's Hospital, Syracuse, of injuries suffered when his car crashed into a tree in West Genesee Turnpike near Orchard Road.

Cleary’s companion and driver of the automobile, James R. Brown, of Orchard Road, Solvay, lies in a critical condition at St. Joseph Hospital with a fractured skull and both legs broken.

October 2: Teen and her mother killed in their new car
Syracuse Journal
County and railroad officials are investigating the accident which took the life of a woman and her daughter when they were crushed to death as a Delaware, Lackawanna & Western locomotive plowed into their newly purchased sedan on the Rockaway Beach crossing at 6:45 o’clock last night.

The victims are Mrs. Tillie Mazaitis, 44, wife of Joseph Mazaitis, and her daughter, Miss Mary Louise Mazaitis, 17, of Rockaway Beach Road.

Morgue officials last night were unable to determine which of the two was driving. Mrs. Mazaitis, however, is believed to have been at the wheel as she recently secured a learner’s permit and was receiving driving lessons from her daughter.

The couple left their home last night shortly after 6 o’clock to try out the new car. The daughter was at the wheel when they left home, relatives reported.

The Mazaitis home is on Rockaway Beach Road, halfway between Van Vleck Road and the beach. The two intended to drive down to the beach, turn around by the clubhouse and then drive back, members of their family said.

As they approached the crossing, the D. L. & W. passenger train bound for Oswego loomed up. William Walters, engineer, with Terry Hayes, conductor, and Leonard Dodge, fireman, were in charge.

The locomotive hit the big sedan and carried it down the tracks for 30 feet, finally tossing it to one side, a twisted mass of steel.

The impact threw both mother and daughter out of the car, but not before they had been crushed in the wreckage. Miss Mazaitis was killed instantly, her mother died within minutes.

Members of the Mazaitis family heard the crash and ran to the street to determine the cause, only to see the new sedan wrecked and mother and daughter lying at the side of the train.

Applying the emergency brakes, Engineer Walters brought the train to a stop within several car lengths. The train crew was the first to reach the side of the victims.

Ambulances were summoned and Deputies Drumm and Cooper were detailed to investigate. They in turn summoned Corner William R. Winne, who directed the removal of the bodies to the county morgue. Joseph Geiger, a railroad policeman and passenger on the train, also participated in the investigation.

Members of the train crew and passengers on the train will give their versions of the accident today to Coroner Winne. How much they can tell is a matter of conjecture, as none claims to know in which direction the sedan was traveling.

Surviving Mrs. Mazaitis, besides her husband, are three sons, Richard, 15; Joseph, 21, and George Mazaitis, 26, and a daughter, Mrs. Leona Kensworthy, 25, of Solvay.

Dr. Daniel F. Mathews, 59, former county coroner and Solvay health officer, died November 29 in a Crouse-Irving Hospital. He had been ill a year and a half. He was a graduate of Bellevue medical school and had practiced medicine in Syracuse and Solvay for 35 years. He was health officer of Solvay for many years, retiring last year when he also gave up his private practice.

Dr. Mathews was county coroner from 1900 to 1906. He was a brother of the late Sheriff James T. Mathews, for many years a political power in Onondaga County.

The physician is survived by his wife, Mrs. Mary O’Brien Mathews, whom he married in 1903; three sons, John, Joseph and Daniel F. Mathews Jr.; two daughters, Margaret and Helen Mathews; a brother, Patrick W. Mathews of Niagara Falls, and a sister, Mrs. Catherine Degan of Syracuse.

Sundays were reserved for baseball
There was something new in the village late that summer. It was announced in August:

Syracuse American, August 2
At a meeting held Friday in Solvay, the village decided to have a round robin baseball league composed of only the strongest teams in the village. The league will be an annual affair and will start this season.

This year Solvay boasts of eight of Central New York’s strongest teams and they will vie for honors. The teams are Solvay Tigers, Solvay Firemen, Solvay Polish Club, Community A. C., Milton A. C., Solvay Odd Sox, Asbury M. E. Church and Solvay Arrows.

The following were elected to office: Joseph Charles, president, C. A. C.; Dale Barnum, secretary, Firemen; Mike Francher, treasurer, Tigers.

The teams will be divided into two sections, A and B, and each team plays the other once. The two sectional winners will play a three-game series.

The Putziger store has donated a 17-inch silver loving cup to the winning team. Prizes will also be given to the best hitter, best fielder and best pitcher.

There will be another meeting Monday night at Putziger’s at 8 o’clock to post forfeit fees and draw up a schedule.

When all the details were worked out, the Round Robin League had six members. They did not include the Solvay Arrows, Asbury M. E. Church and the team with the best name of them all, the Solvay Odd Sox. The sixth team was the Hunters Club, which had a facility in Lakeland, on Onondaga Lake. The organization was primarily for hunters and those who liked to shoot, but their facility also included a baseball field, one of four that would be used for Round Robin games.

Hunters club was placed In the eastern division of the league, along with Community A. C. and the Solvay Firemen; the western section included Milton A. C., Solvay Tigers and Solvay Polish Club. The western section would prove to be stronger and much more competitive.

The league, which was conducted more like a tournament, apparently was a big hit with local residents and with many baseball fans in Syracuse. One reason given for the appeal was that the Round Robin was conducted during a period Syracuse was without a minor league baseball league team.

The first game was played August 16, with the Solvay Polish Club defeating Milton A. C., 16-9.

Syracuse American, August 30
Attracting as many as 4,000 fans to some of its games, the Solvay Round-Robin Baseball League, recently inaugurated, is proving one of the most satisfactory ventures in baseball ever attempted in this city.

Every Sunday baseball lovers from all sections of the city flock to Solvay to watch these games and have been treated to some topnotch games so far.

With the league nearly half completed, the Community A. C., one of the youngest and fastest teams in Central New York, is leading Section 1 without suffering a defeat.

The team has been playing together for the last several years. In 1928, this same combination won the American Legion championship of Central New York under the name of St. Bridget's. At the end of that season they were entered in the American Legion state championship tournament at Saranac Lake, where they lost out in the finals to their rivals, Elmira, 1-0.

Since then, all of the players have played on various high school baseball teams. Playing together as a unit this summer the team has defeated such star twirlers as Beck, formerly with the Arrows; Ray Mertens, former NY-P League pitcher, and Bob Lewis of Cornell University.

In this afternoon’s games, the Solvay Tigers will play Solvay Polish Club at Pass & Seymour Field, and the Hunters’ Club will play the Solvay Firemen at Woods Road field. The Tigers-Polish Club game will decide the leadership of Section 2 of the Solvay Round-Robin League.

The Tigers are the decided favorites in their game because they have just drafted the services of Nick Reale, former NY-P League hurler. Coach Chick Stanski, former catcher for the Sacred Hearts, will be in uniform and will pick his lineup from the following men: Louise, S. Chesneski, DeLucia, Valerino, Billy Major, Buster Major, Newfang, Valetta, Borrell, Past, T. Valetta, Demperio, Reale, Petrochet, Lamanna, Pannetti, Jutton, S. Louise, Stanski and T. Veri.

The Polish Club will pick their lineup from the following: Fisher, Skardinski, Brostek, Progoski, Weslowski, Kaysack, Pieklik, Grabowski, Mokwa, Falkowski, Kochanski, Kazel and Kotash. This game will take place at the new Pass & Seymour diamond at 2 o’clock. Art Jackson will call balls and strikes, while Joe Charles works on the bases.

The Hunters Club players are primed to take their game, having practiced all week under the watchful eye of Coach Art Tarolli. They believe they can come out on the winning end. Cook will be in a Hunters’ Club uniform for the first time since his return from the Eastern League. He is considered one of the best outfielders in the state.

The rest of the lineup will be picked from the following: Osborne, Roberts, Waltos, Berlinski, Tarolli, Berndt, Steves, S. Miller, A. Miller, Schultz, Pinkney, Destefano, Metrick and Dennis.

Information provided the newspaper and passed along to readers was often inaccurate. Players were sometimes credited with professional experience in the minors — the New York-Pennsylvania League and the Eastern League, for example. This was seldom true, though the above story was correct about pitcher Ray Mertens, who played briefly for the Syracuse Stars in the New York-Pennsylvania League in 1928, winning one game, losing four.

A Syracuse Journal story on August 20 said that Solvay Tigers first baseman Joe (Mayer) Valerino played in the Three I League, which I cannot substantiate, and that Tiger center fielder Buster Major had major league experience with the Detroit Tigers. This I know to be pure fiction because Buster Major was my father. Had he ever played major league baseball he would have mentioned it.

Round Robin League games were played on Sundays. There were two games each Sunday, either at the Woods Road field, Pass & Seymour field, Hunters Club field, or Lewis Park, just over the village line in the west end of Syracuse. The season started on August 16 and did not end until October 4. The championship game was delayed until then because all three teams in the Western division had the same record — two wins, two losses.

The Syracuse Jouranl, on August 31, reported there were 7,000 spectators at a game played the day before when the Polish Club beat the Solvay Tigers, 7-2. The Tigers had a pet mascot, a goat, which was trotted out before the game. Some members of the Polish team arrived on an old-fashioned buggy pulled by a white mule.

That game would be the last victory for the Polish Club, who lost their next game to revenge-minded Milton A.C., 18-3. The Solvay Tigers then exacted their revenge on the Polish Club.

Milton A. C. then eliminated Polish Club in the playoffs, but fell to the Solvay Tigers the following Saturday. A day later the Tigers won the Round Robin League championship by handing Community A. C. their only loss. I could not find an account of the game, only an October 9 story that stated the Tigers were winners of the Round Robin.

The six participants in the Round Robin League played many other games that season, some against each other, some against other Solvay teams and several against other Central New York Teams.

Solvay Tigers players and fans probably hoped people forgot about one game in mid-June when the team went to Manlius and lost to M&F (Manlius and Fayetteville?) by the incredible score of 21-6. And it wasn't even that close, since the Tigers scored four meaningless runs in the ninth inning. Solvay used three pitchers — Demperio, Jutton and Kideski — but none could stop the deluge.

The Polish Club was particularly active, with wins over the Constantia town team, the Long Branch Stars, the Polish Community Home team, the Elbridge town team, the previously unbeaten St. Joseph's team of Oswego, and the Lycoming town team, which had won the Oswego County championships the previous two years. They also beat teams from Auburn and Cortland, as well as Solvay's Asbury M. E. Church team, which had been expected to be part of the Round Robin League.

Also mentioned as a possible member of the league were the Solvay Odd Sox. I found one game, played in July, in which the Odd Sox defeated the St. Mathews team of East Syracuse, 22-2. Thomas Demperio was the winning pitcher. W. Gettman and P. Cohen led the hitting attack. Ben Szczech of 12 Abell Avenue, Solvay, was the person to call to set up a game.

There also was a team called the Solvay Arrows, whose players were a bit younger than those in the Round Robin League. Some of the players mentioned in newspaper articles were John O'Leary, Chick Campbell, Dominic Campbell, Shorty Ghezzi, Remo Ghezzi, Gene Coyle, Ed Armani, Bill Moore, Matty Charles, James Doran and Joe Paussa.

The Solvay Cubs, whose members included Rocco Pirro, played in the 14-to-17-year-old class. There also was a team called the Solvay Indians, with players in the 13-to-15-year-old category. Louis Scaia, 409 Woods Road, Solvay, booked the games.

Solvay Process also fielded a team.

Solvay High School's baseball team won the only two games I could find, though the Bearcats did not win their division in the Onondaga County League. The dominant team, three years in a row, was Skaneateles High, led by pitcher Whitey Wilshere. Solvay's star was shortstop John Zulberti, who eventually would play minor league baseball. Other members of the team were Wheeler, Beagle, Kinsella and Salvetti, but the newspaper did not offer first names.

Highlight of the Solvay High season may well have been a 2-1 win over Central High of Syracuse on May 22. Kinsella was the winning pitcher; loser was future major league pitcher Johnny Gee, who stood six-feet-nine, and was the tallest pitcher of his time.

For the second year in Solvay, March Madness was more than just the annual village election. Community Athletic Club staged its second basketball tournament for area teams, with games played on the Solvay Process court. Teams were divided into three classes — midget, junior and senior.

The Solvay Aces won the so-called midget division, beating a team called The Celtics, 29-12. Teams in this division were comprised of teenagers. The age limit, I believe, was 15. Players on the Aces included Brostek, Hall, Darrow, Gettman, Sullivan and Olgeaty.

They were the only Solvay team to capture a tournament championship. Camillus A. C. won the junior division, beating Otisco, 23-19. Frank Kantak, who starred for Camillus High, was high scorer. A team called Becker's All-Stars won the senior championship, beating the Temples, 33-30.

Solvay High School had a team in the tournament. They were eliminated in an early round by the Shamrock Juniors, 30-22. Solvay scored only five points in the second half after leading 17-12 at intermission. Names in the Solvay High box score were Zulberti, C. Gettman, W. Gettman, Chamberlin, Conners, Welch and Forken.

Participating were 29 teams from all over Onondaga County. The Solvay Process basketball court must have been on the short side, perhaps even smaller than the one at the old high school on Hazard Street. There are mentions of some players in the tournament making shots from beyond half court.

Many weeks earlier the Solvay High School team began its 1930-31 season in the Onondaga County League with four straight victories. The fourth victory resulted in what looked like a football score — 41-3 over Elbridge, a team that would remain winless that season.

However, a week later, Solvay fell, suffering one of the worst defeats in school history when arch rival Camillus High beat the Bearcats, 54-15. Kantak led Camillus with 19 points. Solvay won three of its next four games, but closed out the season with three straight losses.

The most amazing turnaround in the league was made by Jordan High School, which on January 23 did something that probably isn't allowed anymore — play a double-header and win both games, the first against Weedsport, the second against poor ol' Elbridge. McPeak of Jordan scored 41 points that night in the two games. In the weeks ahead Jordan would defeat Camillus and Solvay.

Solvay High School played six games, won four of them and had one loss and one tie, which was good enough for only a fourth place finish in the Onondaga County League, which lumped 10 schools together. Marcellus was league champion, with only a tie to blemish its record. East Syracuse and Manlius had 5-1 records. The Solvay-East Syracuse game was scoreless until the closing moments when an 80-yard return of an interception resulted in a touchdown, giving East Syracuse a 6-0 victory.

The Solvay Tigers, who won the village baseball championship, also were crowned the football champ with back-to-back wins over their leading challengers, Milton A. C. and Community A. C. Afterward, Ray Parker, business manager of the Tigers, upped the ante through a letter published in the Syracuse Journal. The letter stated, "The Tigers are claiming the Central New York championship, and if the leading Syracuse teams don't like that, let them book the Tigers for a game and then beat them."

I could find no record of such a game being played.

As for Community A. C., they had laid claim to the championship of Solvay on November after beating yet another Solvay team, the Aces. Carmen Bucci and Bob Rood led the Community A. C. to a 14-6 win. Other members of the Community A. C. team were Pepe Bendetti, John Simiele, M. Murphy, Red Barry and Mike Charles.

The Aces had been unbeaten and unscored upon since 1929. The Aces included several Solvay High School players, including Joe Plants, Spillet and Lyons.

Names of Tiger players in the various stories that fall included C. Lamanna, Lavigno, Fowler, T. Yezzi, J. Lamanna, Gettman, Galante and Joe Otter, described as "the pint-size quarterback." Olgeaty was the coach.

There also were two younger teams, the Solvay Mohawks and Solvay Cubs. According to the Syracuse Journal (October 7), "The Mohawks have such stars as Paussa, O'Leary, E. Armani and Sobey." The Cubs, coached by Pannitti and Barone, had a roster that included O'Leary, Rydelek, R. Pirro, V. Geathette, Ferrante, Pannitti, Torzon, C. Pirro, Sartori, Wheeler, Brostek, Louise, DeSantis, Pestillo, Castellani and Jembrook." So said the Syracuse American (November 15).

The Mohawks and Cubs clashed on November 22 and the game ended in a scoreless tie.

Other Solvay teams were the Blackbirds (80-to-90 pound class), and, in the 80-95-pound class, the Unknowns and the Milton Pirates.

February 17: Solvay bowlers set endurance mark
Syracuse Journal

Syracuse’s first endurance bowling contest, with six of Solvay’s younger pin stars as starters, gets underway at Doran’s Alleys this afternoon. The contestant, three of whom are pinboys at the Solvay alleys, hope to break the existing mark of 49-1/2 hours established recently in Roanoke, Virginia.

The contestants, who have been getting in condition for the grind for the past two weeks, are Rolando Aurelli, Mario Speziali, Tommy Franza, Dominick Bagozzi, Amadio Monte and Fred Lanni.

Solvay merchants have donated many special prizes to the competitors all along the route. Meals, ice cream and milk for the contestants during the grind will also be donated by local merchants.

Manager Polly Doran has inserted special rules which requires each bowler to secure a score of better than 75 each game after 18 hours and to roll at least 20 hours to be eligible for the prizes.

Syracuse Journal, February 27
With his six bowlers seeking to better the existing marathon alley record of 49-1/2 hours still intent on going through with their ordeal at the end of 18 hours of constant bowling, manager Polly Doran of Doran’s Alleys announced at 8 o’clock this morning that they were showing their first signs of weakening. He feared that one of the sextet might drop out of the running before nightfall.

As soon as the bowlers showed their first effects of the hard grind, Doran sent for Joe Mosher, local trainer, who will spend of the rest of his time until the end of the record try in rubbing down the bowlers and endeavoring to keep them in proper condition.

Doran announced the results for eight hours between midnight and 8 o’clock this morning:

Tommy Franza, 3,084 pins, 140 average.
Mario Speziali, 2,903 pins, 131 average.
Fred Lanni, 2,832 pins, 126 average.
Amadio Monte, 2,585 pins, 117 average.
Dominick Bagozzi, 2,500 pins, 113 average.
Rolando Aurelli, 2,401 pins, 109 average.

High single game to date was 222, registered by Bagozzi.

The six bowlers started the grind at 2 o’clock Friday afternoon and must roll constantly until 4 o’clock Sunday afternoon to establish a new record.

Records for the first 10 hours, up to midnight, indicate how the marathon is affecting the bowlers. During those first 10 hours, Aurelli averaged 159 for 28 games; Franza 147; Lanni 143; Bagozzi 143; Speziali 136, and Monte 127.

Syracuse Journal, March 2
Establishing a new world’s record for marathon bowling by completing 51-1/2 hours on they alleys before they stopped at 5:30 o’clock Sunday afternoon, the five bowlers who started their record-breaking grind on Friday afternoon at 2 o’clock at Doran’s Alleys in Solvay today are co-holders of the new world’s endurance mark.

The five bowlers — Tommy Franza, Fred Lanni, Dominick Bagozzi, Mario Speziali and Ronald Aurelli — were haggard and almost completely worn out by their nerve-racking test as they passed the previous record of 49-1/2 hours at 3:30 o’clock Sunday afternoon before a crowd of nearly 1,000 spectators who jammed every available inch of space within the bowling parlors all day.

The bowlers agreed among themselves to continue until 6 o’clock, with the bowler having the highest average for the total number of games bowled being declared the winner, but at 5:30 o’clock Speziali was forced to give in and the remaining four decided to quit with him. One other starter, Amadio Monte, had quit Saturday morning after bowling nearly 18 hours.

The five finishers were given a rousing reception by the horde of spectators when they passed the world’s mark and again when they gave up the grind after 51-1/2 hours.

Each of the five finishers rolled a total of 128 games. Franza had high average of 133, Lanni was second with 129, Bagozzi third with 124, Speziali fourth with 117 and Aurelli fifth with 111.

Syracuse American, February 8
Probably the youngest combination among the 2,300 teams from all parts of the country to participate in the annual A. B. C. bowling classic at Buffalo, February 27-April 5, will be the Milton A. C. of Solvay, headed by the local season’s sensation, Greg Griffo.

Griffo, at 22, is the “father” of the quintet, which enjoys a 10-game lead in the fast Solvay A League. The Milton combination boasts a team average of 20 years old, but despite its youth is capable of turning in splendid totals, as evidenced in its work in the Solvay league.

The five young men boast a team average of 937 for the season, and recently ran off a string of 15 straight wins. Griffo is the outstanding star of the team, with an individual average of 207 for the 66 games he has rolled in the league, but his teammates are holding up their end. James Lauricello and Adlio Togni each boasts a 187 average, Pat Orbino 185 5and Angelo Bresadola 180.

A benefit dance held in the Milton A. C. clubrooms last night assured their expenses to their first A. B. C. tournament.

Syracuse Journal, May 5
As a fitting climax to his sensational season on the alleys, Greg Griffo, Solvay’s bowling “find,” annexed the individual bowling championship of New York State when he came through with a three-game total of 695 on the closing night of the eighth annual New York State championship at the Jefferson Lanes on Monday night.

Griffo’s total was two pins higher than that registered by Bill Leslie. Griffo rolled games of 258, 202 and 235.

Syracuse Journal, May 15
Johnny Rutkowski, Polish Home bowling ace, and Mario Speziali, Solvay’s youthful sensation, will fight it out for the two big cash prizes of $400 and $150 in the final 20-game home and home series of the Journal-American’s citywide championship roll-off.

They will clash in two 10-game series on Saturday and Sunday nights, final plans for which will be completed this afternoon between the two finalists, their managers and management of the roll-off.

Rutkowski and Speziali earned the right to compete in the finals by again finishing first and second in total pinfall in the semi-final round of the roll-off conducted Thursday night.

Rutkowski led the survivors Thursday for the second successive night when he turned in a five-game total of 1,067, with Speziali again a close runner-up with 1,059.

Interest was at fever heat throughout the city as the semi-finalists went into their matches Thursday night. Long before the matches were scheduled to start at the Polish Home and Doran’s alleys in Solvay, every available nook and corner was crowded with spectators, and throngs of latecomers found it impossible to get inside the two establishments. It is expected that plans will be made today to accommodate overflow crowds for the finals.

Syracuse Journal, May 19
Checks totaling $700 were presented or mailed Monday to the eight finalists in The Journal American’s championship bowling roll-off, which was concluded with Sunday night’s final match.

The two largest checks, one of $400 to Johnny Rutkowski, Journal-American’s 1930-31 champion, and one of $150 to Mario Speziali, runner-up, were given them personally, while the others were mailed to the winners.

Both Rutkowski and Speziali were high in their praise for the tournament and branded it the greatest event in bowling of which they had ever heard.

“I have seen some interesting and profitable tournaments conducted in bowling since I took up the sport five years ago,” said Rutkowski, “but never has anything approached The Journal-American event. In my opinion it is the fairest and greatest tournament of its nature ever attempted, and The Journal-American certainly deserves worlds of praise for making this event possible to the bowlers of Syracuse. It convinces me that after all there is a Santa Claus.

“I want to take this opportunity to praise my opponent in the finals, the youthful Spitz. He gave a wonderful showing for his first year in the game, and holds promise of becoming one of the city’s best bowlers with a little more experience.”

Speziali also expressed complete satisfaction with the tournament.

“I cannot yet realize just what I have been through for the past week. It was beyond my fondest hope that I would go through to the finals in my first year of bowling, but it just shows what can happen in this bowling game. I am far from discouraged because I lost in the finals. The experience I gathered is sure to be of help another year. Congratulations to Rutkowski for his splendid work and fine sportsmanship,.”

Other prize winners were:

Third prize, Lyle Jackson, $52.50; fourth prize, Tommy Franza, $37.50; fifth prize, Greg Griffo, $22.50; sixth prize, George Vick, $18.75; seventh prize, Percy Thurlow, $11.25; eight prize, Johnny Martino, $7.50.

Syracuse Journal, October 5
Johnny Martino, one of the city’s leading alley sharpshooters, is winner of the first week’s prize of $10 in cash and automatically becomes the first qualifier in The Journal-American’s second annual 30-week citywide bowling classic.

Martino, who went to the twentieth week of last year’s classic before he qualified for the finals, came through with a three-game total of 678 with the Isabellas of the Knights of Columbus League at Maurer’s alleys last Friday night to grab the opening week honors. He rolled games of 237, 198 and 243, to beat out Tony Miller of the Mulheran Lumber team of the City League. Miller rolled a 668. It was the fourth time in the classic that Miller has been runner-up in a week-long competition, but he has yet to qualify for the final roll-offs.

Martino, the dapper-looking gentleman in the bow tie (above, right), receives his check from Syracuse Journal sports reporter Cliff More.

Syracuse Journal, December 5
Johnny Martino, first week’s qualifier in this season’s Journal-American citywide bowling classic, led the bowlers throughout the city in Friday night’s competition with a total of 688 to better his own league record of 678 in the Knights of Columbus League which he made in qualifying for the tournament.

Martino anchorman for the Isabellas and far out in front in the race for individual honors in the Knights of Columbus League, bunched games of 243, 222 and 223 for his big total.

Manager Bill Doran will conduct a turkey roll at his alleys in Solvay tonight. There will be six squads running every 50 minutes starting at 7 o’clock. A turkey and a chicken will be awarded in each squad. Doran announced this morning there are still openings in most of the squads.

A benefit dance, the proceeds of which will be used to send the six leading individual bowlers of the Solvay Mercantile League at Korzyp’s Alleys to the annual ABC championships in Detroit next spring, will be held at Verdi’s Hall in Solvay tonight. All bowlers and friends are cordially invited.


Most items are from the Syracuse Herald-Journal and its Sunday edition, the Herald-American. Several were edited for length.