|Syracuse Journal, November 9, 1903
Library Plans Are Completed
Plans for the Solvay library, donated to the village by Andrew Carnegie and Frederick R. Hazard, have been completed. The library is to be erected at Orchard and Woods roads, on a lot donated by Frederick R. Hazard.
The building is to be classical in design, 72 by 66-1/3 feet and one story in height The front steps and buttresses will be of Gouverneur marble, the rest of the stone work Indiana buff limestone. The building will be chiefly of gray pressed brick, with the roof of black slate.
A large vestibule leads from the entrance to the delivery lobby. Here there will be a large octagonal delivery desk for the use of the librarian. There will be turnstiles on either side of this desk so that persons entering or leaving will come immediately under the notice of the librarian.
There will be a general reading room at the right and a juvenile room of the same dimensions to the left. These rooms will be 23-3/4 by 30. Mr. Carnegie an Mr. Hazard each contributed $10,000 toward the erection of the building and the Solvay Process company will contribute $500 annually for its maintenance.
A story in The Syracuse Post Standard that day added this information:
1. The library plans were prepared by an architectural company called Merrick & Randall.
2. The library basement would have an auditorium seating 200 people.
3. The entire building would be handsomely finished in white quartered oak.
4. Thomas Maloney, mason, and Huber Brothers, carpenters, are constructing the building under the direction of James A. Randall.