Page 5 of 5

Taylor Tankersley
The Missoula, Montana, native is a graduate of the University of Alabama and a relief pitcher selected by the Florida Marlins in the the 2004 draft. In 2007 Tankersley made 67 appearances for the Marlins, posting a 6-1 won-lost record with a 3.99 earned run average.

An elbow injury sidelined him for the entire 2009 season, and since then has done most of his pitching in the minors. He spent 2011 with Buffalo of the International League while under contract with the New York Mets, and after the season was cut loose.


El Tappe
Elwin Walter Tappe was a catcher whose 145 games for the Chicago Cubs covered six seasons and eight years. To say he was a light-hitting catcher is putting it mildly. His batting average was .207. His 63 hits included 53 singles and 10 doubles. He was, however, a difficult man to strike out.

His name reminds me of a character you might find in a Zorro film. His claim to fame, however, is his part in an interesting experiment conducted by the Cubs in the 1961 season when the team had revolving managers. The media jokingly referred to this experiment as the Cubs' College of Coaches.

Tappe, Vedie Himsl*, Harry Craft and Lou Klein rotated during the season, Tappe taking over during three different periods and managing more games than the others combined. The Cubs finished seventh in an eight-team league.

In 1962 Tappe began the season as the only Cubs manager, but was removed after the team lost 16 of their first 20 games.

Tappe continued on as a Cub coach, then in 1964 became a scout. He also ran a sporting goods store with his twin brother, Melvin, and the two of them did play-by-play baseball broadcasts on a Quincy, Illinois, radio station.

* Vedie Himsl. Now that's a name that would have made my list, too, except Avitus Bernard Himsl never played in the majors


White Wings Tebeau
Also nicknamed Hard Call, George E. Tebeau was an outfielder in the late 1800s who occasionally played other positions. He spent two seasons with the National League Cleveland Spiders managed by his brother Oliver "Patsy" Tebeau, who, tragically, took his own life in 1918. There was a third brother Tebeau, Charles, who went by the nickname, Pussy.

As for White Wings Tebeau, I'm still looking for the source of that unusual nickname. I don't trust the explanation in a Wikipedia article that credits Tebeau's "blazing speed" for his nickname. Bill James, in his "Historical Baseball Abstract," pointed out that in the late 1800s "White Wings" meant garbage men. What that might have to do with Tebeau I don't know, but I think somehow there is a connection.

Upon retirement as a player, Tebeau bought a minor league team in Kansas City.


Adonis Terry
William H. Terry was so nicknamed because of his looks. One website said he brought more women to the ballpark than free admission on Ladies Day, though I'm not sure there was such a thing as Ladies Day in Terry's time. He spent 14 seasons in the major leagues (1884-97), the first six with Brooklyn of the American Association. (The team was known as the Trolley-Dodgers, then the Bridegrooms.) He went with the Bridegrooms to the National League in 1890. Later he played for Pittsburgh and Chicago after one game with Baltimore in 1892.

Terry was primarily a pitcher with a lifetime record of 197-195. Those were different times, obviously, but it's interesting to note Terry pitched 485 innings in 1884, winning 20 games and losing 35.

Like many pitchers of the time, Terry played other positions as well. He logged 216 games in the outfield, plus another 32 at infield positioins. Which is why another Terry statistic jumps off the page – in 1890 he won 26 games and stole 32 bases.


Wayne Terwilliger
Like many young men, Willard Wayne "Twig" Terwilliger had his baseball career interrupted by World War II, but in his case he entered the service before he turned professional. One result: he was not yet regarded as a baseball player, so he was treated like a regular serviceman. No assignment to a Marine baseball team awaited him. Instead he served as a radioman on a tank in the Pacific, participating in the invasions of Tinian and Iwo Jima.

He was discharged in 1945 and entered Western Michigan University where he played shortstop. The Cubs signed him in 1948 and moved him to second base. He went through the minor leagues quickly, joining the Cubs late in 1949. The next year he was the Cubs regular second baseman, hit .242 with 10 home runs. In 1950 the Cubs traded him to Brooklyn. After that he spent two years with the Washington Senators, two with the New York Giants before ending his playing career with the Kansas City Athletics in 1960. Then he became a coach, working for the Senators, Texas Rangers and Minnesota Twins.

In 2005, at the age of 80, Terwilliger was named manager of the year in the Central Baseball League for the job he did with the Fort Worth Cats.


Buck Thrasher

Buck Thrasher was:

A. The screen name of a 1990s porn star.

Leader of Oklahoma's notorious Thrasher outlaw gang in the 1880s, with his brothers Brick, Bevis and Butthead.

C. The character played by Buster Crabbe in 1939's classic, 15-episode movie serial called "Zombies From Planet X."

D. An intrepid African hunter-explorer whose motto was, "Bring 'em back in one piece."

Well, Buck actually was Frank Edward Thrasher, an outfielder who played 30 games and batted .235 for the Philadelphia Athletics in 1916-17, an infamous period for manager-owner Connie Mack who sold off many of the players who had helped his team win four American League pennants and three World Series during a five-year stretch (1910-14). The A's finished in eighth place during both of Thrasher's seasons.

Thrasher was another of those guys who hit well in the minor leagues, but got worse when the competition got better. He had been sold by the Norfolk Tars of the Virginia League to the New York Giants in 1915, but didn't stick. Thrasher had batted .348 for the Tars, his fourth season in the minors and the fourth time he had hit well over .300.

He played for the Atlanta Crackers of the Southern Association in 1916 and batted .337, then was sold to the Athletics.

Thrasher attracted attention in a painful way early in 1917 when he was hit in the head by a pitch from Carl Mays of the Boston Red Sox. Mays had a reputation for throwing bean balls. Three years later a Mays' pitch hit and killed Cleveland shortstop Ray Chapman in the only such fatality in major league history.

Thrasher wasn't seriously hurt by the Mays pitch, except that it probably became the strongest memory he had of his time in the majors, which came to an end soon after the incident. He finished out the 1917 season back in Atlanta, but for the first time in his minor league career failed to hit .300. He wound up with a batting average of .284, though he set a record that season by getting eight straight hits in a double-header, finishing the afternoon with a perfect day at the plate.


Sloppy Thurston
Hollis John Thurston pitched with the St. Louis Browns, Chicago White Sox, Washington Senators and Brooklyn Dodgers (1922-33). As a boy he worked for his father, who owned a restaurant and operated a soup kitchen for the poor. "Slop" referred to the food or the manner in which it was served.

As for Thurston himself, he was almost excessively neat, described as "a meticulous and dandy Jazz Age dresser."


Verle Tiefenthaler
Verle Matthew Tiefenthaler was signed by the (then) New York Giants in 1955 and remained in the Giants minor league system until 1961 when he was traded to the Chicago White Sox. Tiefenthaler made three relief appearances for the White Sox in 1962, and that was the extent of his major league career.

He rubbed elbows with fame – or at least they shared a few meals – when he and pitcher Gaylord Perry were minor league roommates. Perry wound up in Cooperstown. Perhaps Tiefenthaler returned to his birthplace, Breda, Iowa.


Toots Tietje
On September 18, 1933, pitcher Leslie William Tietje beat the New York Yankees in his major league debut with the Chicago White Sox. When the season ended several days later, Tietje had two wins, no losses. It would be his only winning record in six years of major league pitching. The next season he posted a 5-14 record and in 1935 went 9-15. A year later he was traded to the St. Louis Browns and hung around until 1938, but saw little action. His lifetime won-lost record was 22-41. He returned to the minors and kept pitching until 1942.

Though nicknamed "Toots," he usually was called Les. I came across nothing that indicated for sure how his last name was pronounced (though inside my head I hear the voice of Vic Morrow in "Blackboard Jungle" taunting Glenn Ford by calling him "Teach").

However, I did find online pages that provided pronunciation guides for three other people named Tietje. One man preferred TEE-jay, another TEE-gee, and yet another TEET-geah.

However, I'll go along with the information provided in a recent email message from Beth Connelly, his granddaughter:

My grandfather (my mother’s father) was Leslie Tietje and wanted to clarify how the last name was pronounced (or at least how he pronounced it). It is pronounced TEE-gee or TG. He was a wonderful man. Thank you for researching him.


Pie Traynor
Harold JosephTraynor
set the standard by which third basemen are measured. The Hall of Famer had a lifetime batting average of .320, routinely drove in more than 100 runs.

As a boy in Somerville, Massachusetts, Traynor and his friends used to frequent a store run by a clergyman named Father John Nangle. Every day, so the story goes, Father Nangle would ask the boys what they wanted, and Traynor would say, "Pie." Father Nangle took to calling the boy "Pie Face", which later was shorted to Pie.


Overton Tremper
If I said Carlton Overton Tremper was a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School, you'd probably believe me. Which is good ... because he was. He played baseball for four years at Penn, then went directly to Brooklyn of the National League.

Tremper obviously was in over his head, batting .233 in 60 at bats, which is not what a team wanted from an outfielder. He played only 10 games for Brooklyn in 1928, then was sent to play for Macon (Georgia) of the Sally League (or Southern Atlantic League).

He retired from professional baseball and became a high school mathematics teacher in Freeport, New York. He also coached the high school baseball, football and basketball teams. In the summers he played semi-pro baseball.

Eventually he retired to Clearwater, Florida, where he died in 1996. He was 89.


Tommy Umphlett
Thomas Mullen Umphlett's last name sounds like it might mean "spilled omelet." Whatever, it's a name I didn't forget.

Tommy Umphlett was the Boston Red Sox centerfielder who, in 1953, succeeded the very popular Dom DiMaggio. It was clear from the get-go that Umphlett was no DiMaggio, though he hit a respectable .283 as a rookie. However, he was then traded to Washington for outfielder Jackie Jenson, who had the power Umphlett lacked. (The Senators also received pitcher Mickey McDermott.)

Umphlett hit .219 and .217 in 1954 and '55, and while he continued to play for a few years after that, did it in the minor leagues.

His most unforgettable day? It has to be June 23, 1953 when his RBI single in the seventh inning triggered a scoring outburst that hit the Detroit Tigers like a Category Five hurricane. Umphlett would bat again in that inning. And again. Twenty-three Red Sox batters faced Tiger pitchers, 17 of them scored. The bases were loaded when the third out finally was made. For the inning Umphlett had two singles, a walk, two runs batted in and he scored twice. The final: Boston 23, Detroit 3.

My Chris Berman impression: Tommy Arc de Triomphe Lett.


Jerry Upp
George Henry Upp was a left-handed pitcher out of Sandusky, Ohio, who in 1909 spent one month with the Cleveland Naps (later Indians). He made four starts, three relief appearances, had two wins, one loss and a 1.69 earned run average. There's nothing shabby about those stats, but he never again pitched in the big leagues. And I have no idea why someone named George was nicknamed Jerry.

The highlight of Upp's professional baseball career was his 1907 season with Columbus of the American Association. He won 27 games for the pennant-winning Columbus team, against only 10 losses.


Dazzy Vance
The hard-throwing Vance was judged a failure in his first two efforts to make the majors, in 1915 with both Pittsburgh and the New York Yankees, and with the Yankees again in 1918.

In 1922 he was given another chance, this time by the Brooklyn Dodgers – and the 31-year-old Vance responded with 18 wins, leading the league in strikeouts (134) and shutouts (5). Two years later he won 28 games and had 262 strike outs. He'd go on to a Hall of Fame career in which he won 197 games, led the National league in strikeouts seven consecutive years, and, perhaps most remarkably, posted a league-leading 2.61 earned run average in 1930 when the league batting average was .303. That was more than one run per game better than second place finisher Carl Hubbell, whose earned run average was 3.76.

Outfielder Johnny Frederick paid his teammate one of my favorite baseball compliments. Vance, he said, "could throw a cream puff through a battleship."

Why was Clarence Arthur Vance called Dazzy? As a boy in Orient, Iowa, his favorite expression was "Ain't that a daisy!" Vance's accent made it sound as though he were saying "dazzy." After awhile, he did it intentionally and had himself an unusual new name.

Hippo Vaughn
Nicknamed for his size – 6-4, 215 pounds (up to nearly 300 late in his career) – James Leslie Vaughn pitched for the New York Yankees, Washington Senators, but mostly Chicago Cubs. He won 20 games or more four times. On May 2, 1917 Vaughn threw a no-hitter at the Cincinnati Reds. His opponent, Fred Toney, didn't allow a hit, either. In the 10th inning Vaughn gave up a hit and a run, Toney didn't, and so on his best day, Vaughn wound up the losing pitcher.

Peek-a-Boo Veach
William Walter Veach arrived on the scene in the 1880s. He wound up as a first baseman, but got his nickname as a young pitcher when his manager signalled from the bench for Veach to attempt a pickoff of a baserunner.

Opponents got wise, but the manager's next idea was to relay signals via a spectator. Opponents noticed Veach stealing glances at the grandstand and began yelling "Peek-a-boo! Peek-a-boo!"


Coot Veal
Orville Inman Veal was a shortstop who saw some action for Detroit, Washington and Pittsburgh (1958-63). He's remembered partly for his last name, which puts him on those all-food baseball names lists people keep coming up with

His nickname? There are several possibilities: Cooter is a kind of turtle ... and a coot is a kind of bird with weird toes, and I've heard of something called a cooter pie. Some credit New York Yankees manager Casey Stengel, who supposedly referred to him as "Cooter," but I suspect Stengel merely added the "er" to an existing nickname.


Fritz Von Kolnitz
Alfred Holmes Von Kolnitz is one of an unusually large group of players born in South Carolina. He came out of Charleston and was graduated from the University of South Carolina law school. He had been captain of the football team at USC (initials that have a different meaning for South Carolinians than for folks in Southern California). Von Kolnitz also was a certified attorney at 21 but went directly from college to the Cincinnati Reds where he played five different positions, but primarily third base.

He wasn't much of a hitter, something he realized early on. He retired at 23, then joined the Army, serving as a major in World War I.

He would later serve again in World War II, as a lieutenant colonel. When he died in 1948 he was vice president of a Charleston real estate company. Along the way he was the first athletic director at the College of Charleston.


Rip Vowinkel
Even without the letter "n" that was missing from his last name, John Henry Vowinkel couldn't avoid being called "Rip."

The Oswego, New York, native was just 20 years old when he pitched for the Cincinnati Redlegs of the National League in 1905, winning three games, losing three.

He spent the rest of his baseball career in the minors, mostly with Buffalo of the Eastern League. I found several newspaper articles on Vowinkel; most of them made reference to problems he was having with his pitching arm.

After he retired he settled down in his hometown. The most recent clipping I found, from 1922, concerned his success as a bowler.

Woodie Wagenhurst
Elwood Otto Wagenhurst was educated at not one, but two Ivy League colleges – Princeton and Penn. He played only two major league games and did it in 1888, but as long as there's major league baseball, Woodie (aka Woody) Wagenhurst will be remembered on the pages of the sports many reference books, although his last name sometimes appears as Wagenhorst, and probably also as Wagonhurst or Wagonhorst.

Kermit Wahl
was always my favorite Kermit, even after The Muppets came along.

Kermit Emerson Wahl made his first appearance in the major leagues in 1944, with Cincinnati, played in 71 games with the Reds the next season, then bounced between the minors and the Reds for two years.

He played for awhile with the Syracuse Chiefs, a Reds farm team in the '40s and early '50s, and he provided a memorable moment, though it certainly wasn't Wahl at his finest. He'd just struck out when he whirled around, took a few steps toward the dugout, stopped and slammed the head of his bat two or three times against the ground. Then he snapped the bat in two across his knee and stomped toward the bench. ("Youngsters, I am a professional tantrum thrower. Do not try this at home!")

Wahl returned to the majors in 1950 and played two seasons with the Philadelphia Athletics. He hit .257 in 1950, the best of his five major league seasons. He played mostly third base, but also logged time at shortstop and second base.

He was an outstanding high school athlete in South Dakota and was inducted into the state's Hall of Fame. He was a graduate of Indiana University and after he retired from playing he returned to his home state and was a baseball umpire, football and basketball official.

The South Dakota Hall of Fame website includes this little tidbit about Wahl: His top yearly baseball salary, with Philadelphia in 1951, was $9,000. Heck, even a guy who hit .257 the season before would be making more than $1 million today.


Myterious Walker
Frederick Mitchell Walker was a pitcher who played with five different major league teams in five seasons (1910, 1912-15). His lifetime record was 6-23, leading one to suspect he got his nickname because his presence in a big league uniform was very Mysterious.

Story is Walker actually got his name because he had a habit of disappearing for days at a time without telling anyone where he was going. In reading about that period in baseball, I noticed several players had a similar habit.

Another story is the nickname came from when he used a pseudonym while pitching for the San Francisco Seals of the Pacific Coast League. That was in 1910 when he won six games and lost four, which to that point was his only professional baseball experience. And yet on June 10 of that year he found himself in a Cincinnati uniform, pitching one inning.

There's no record of Walker in any organized league in 1911, but in 1912, perhaps mysteriously, he pitched another inning in the major leagues, this time for Cleveland of the American League. In 1913, again without benefit of any time in the minors, Walker pitched briefly for Brooklyn. Most of his pitching was done in the short-lived Federal League, with the Pittsburgh Rebels in 1914 and the Brooklyn Tip-Tops in 1915. Three years later he spent one season in the minor leagues.

Walker was a three-sport athlete at the University of Chicago and spent most of his adult life coaching basketball, baseball and football at several colleges.


Tilly Walker
How outfielder Clarence William Walker came to be known as Tilly (or Tillie, as it sometimes was written) remains a mystery. Walker stood five-foot-eleven and weighed just 165 pounds and had only 18 home runs in his first seven seasons in the American League with Washington, St. Louis and Boston.

Traded to the Philadelphia Athletics in 1918, a new Tilly Walker emerged. He hit 11 home runs, tying him for league leadership with Babe Ruth. By 1922, baseballs were all cranked up and so was Walker. He hit 37 home runs.

Athletics owner and manager Connie Mack didn't appreciate Walker or his home runs, so he moved the fences back for the 1923 season. The 35-year-old Walker played in only 52 games that season, getting just 109 at bats and two home runs. He returned to the minor leagues and his power returned. In 1928, with Greenville of the South Atlantic (or Sally) League, Walker batted .344 with 33 home runs.


Bill Wambsganss
Bill Wambsganss was an infielder (mostly second base) who played with Cleveland for 10 seasons (1914-23), then briefly with the Boston Red Sox and Philadelphia Athletics.

A .259 lifetime hitter, William Adolph Wambsganss became one of baseball's immortals on October 5, 1920 when he made an unassisted triple play in Game Five of the World Series against Brooklyn.

Years later Wambsganss complained to writer Lawrence Ritter, "The only thing anybody seems to remember is that I once made an unassisted triple play in the World Series. You'd think I was born the day before and died the day after."

Pete Weckbecker
Peter Weckbecker was a catcher who made a brief appearance with Indianapolis of the National League in 1889, then played 32 games the next season with Louisville of the American Association. He batted .235. Had he come along about 70 years later he'd almost certainly have been nicknamed Woody.
Podge Weihe
I've also seen his first name as Podgie, and while I'm not sure how to pronounce his last name, I'd guess that the Chris Berman-ism would be, "Podge Eating His Curds and Weihe." John Garibaldi Weihe played in the 1880s for Cincinnati and Indianapolis of the American Association, mostly in the outfield, some at second and first base.
Hooks Wiltse
Pitcher George LeRoy Wiltse's nickname stemmed not from a curve ball, but from his fielding ability. The manager of the Syracuse Stars, watching Wiltse play first base in 1902, said the player had hooks for hands. But it was Wiltse's pitching that earned him a place on the New York Giants roster in 1904. He won his first 12 games, a major league record for a rookie. He'd go on to win 139 games in the majors, with two 20-win seasons. His brother, Lewis Dewitt Wiltse, was a major league pitcher who also had a colorful nickname – Snake.

Kettle Wirts
Elwood Vernon Wirts
was a catcher who played all 49 of his major league games with Chicago teams, the Cubs (1921-23) and the White Sox (1924). His batting average: a paltry .163.

However, he found a place in Cub history with his only major league home run, which put him on a short list of players whose first Wrigley Field homer was a grand slam. That hit accounted for four of the six runs batted in Wirts had in 1922.

He fared much better in the minor leagues where his lifetime average was .279. After retiring as a player he did some managing in the minors.

A Wikipedia biography says Wirts was director of a baseball school for young people in Sacramento, California, and that he also was a beer distibuter.

The family name originally was Wuertz. I've found no explanation for how he picked up the nickname "Kettle."


Mellie Wolfgang
Also nicknamed "Red," Meldon John Wolfgang began his major league career in impressive fashion, pitching two shutouts, posting a staff-best 1.89 earned run average with a 9-5 record with the 1914 Chicago White Sox.

Wolfgang, who was five-feet-nine, weighing 160 pounds, may have been overlooked for awhile because of his size. He spent three seasons (1910-12) with the Lowell (Massachusetts) Tigers of the New England League, winning 69 games against only 27 losses. You'd think he would have advanced to a stronger minor league after posting a 27-5 record in 1911, but there he was the next season, back in Lowell.

One suspects he had arm trouble after he reached the major leagues. While his earned run average was excellent in 1915 and 1916, he pitched only 181 innings, picking up six wins in two seasons. He would make just nine more appearances, all in relief, before calling it quits in 1918.

Yats Wuestling
Shortstop George "Yats" Wuestling played in 83 major league games (1929-30). He came up with the Detroit Tigers who traded him on Memorial Day 1930 with pitcher Ownie Carroll and outfielder Harry Rice to the New York Yankees for Waite Hoyt and Mark Koenig. I have no idea what the nickname means, but it probably rescued Wuestling from obscurity.

Yam Yaryan
Did Clarence Everett Yaryan get his nickname from the sweet potato? Had he become more famous, someone might have provided the answer, along with a hint about how to pronounce his last name. (I'd prefer "Yar Yan," but my guess is the proper pronunciation is YARRY-en, though I suppose ya-RYE-en is a possibility.)

Yam Yaryan was a catcher for the Chicago White Sox in 1921. He had a long career playing and managing in the minor leagues.


Chief Yellow Horse
Moses J. Yellow Horse (sometimes spelled as one word, Yellowhorse) was a full-blooded Pawnee Indian born in Oklahoma. As with Charles Bender and John Meyers, two other Native American baseball players, Yellow Horse was tagged with the nickname “Chief.”

Some claim Yellow Horse was the first full-blooded Indian to play in the major leagues, but that distinction may belong to Louis Sockalexis, who arrived more than 20 years earlier.

In any event, Chief Yellow Horse was a pitcher who won 21 games with Little Rock of the Southern Association in 1920. For the next two seasons he played for the Pittsburgh Pirates. He was curtailed by injuries both seasons, compling a record of 8 wins, 4 losses, mostly as a relief pitcher.

In 1923 he played for Sacramento of the Pacific Coast League and won 22 games, but for all practical purposes his baseball career finished at the end of that season.

Some say his downfall began in Pittsburgh when he fell in with shortstop Rabbit Maranville, a free-wheeling fellow who appreciated alcohol and knew how to obtain it, even during Prohibition. Yellow Horse soon developed a drinking problem, which fit an unfortunate stereotype.

Eventually he kicked the habit, though it was long after his playing days were over. His tribe, which disapproved of his drinking, welcomed him back in the 1940s. A sports field was named after him in Pawnee, Oklahoma, where he died in 1964 at the age of 66.

Maranville, meanwhile, wound up in baseball’s Hall of Fame. He also qualified for baseball’s unofficial Hall of Infamy for a stunt he pulled during his short tenure as manager of the Chicago Cubs in 1925. During one road trip Maranville ran through the team sleeping car at 2 a.m., waking his players and shouting, “There will be no sleeping on the club under Maranville management.” He was fired shortly thereafter.

In 1927 Maranville spent most of the year with Rochester of the International League. There he made an important decision: he stopped drinking. He returned to the major leagues in 1928, at the age of 36, playing two full seasons with the St. Louis Cardinals and four more with the Boston Braves.

Rich Yett
Richard Martin Yett was a right-handed pitcher whose unremarkable six-year major league career sent him from Minnesota to Cleveland then back to Minnesota (1985-90). The pitcher was an easy target for ESPN's nickname creator, Chris Berman, who dubbed him Rich Not Ready Yett.

Zip Zabel
George Washington Zabel was a right-handed pitcher known for his wicked curve ball. In 1915, with the Chicago Cubs, he pitched 18-1/3 innings in relief in a win over Brooklyn. That's the longest relief stint in major league history, made possible by his entering the game in the first inning.

Great things were expected of Zabel, but his 18-inning effort may have damaged his pitching arm and his career went downhill thereafter.


Bud Zipfel
Marion Sylvester Zipfel was a first baseman whose big moment was hitting a home run that gave Washington a victory over Baltimore in a 16-inning game on September 12, 1962 when Senator pitcher Tom Cheney struck out 21 Orioles, a major league record for an extra inning game. Cheney threw 228 pitches, which today would get a manager arrested for hurler abuse.

Zipfel spent parts of 1961 and '62 with the Senators. He began both seasons in the minor leagues, Houston of the American Association in '61, Syracuse of the International League the following year. (He was then a New York Yankees prospect.)

At 6-foot-3, 200 pounds, Zipfel hit for power, but not average, except with Houston when he posted a career best batting average of .312 in 101 games.

After batting .239 for Washington in 1962, Zipfel returned to the minor leagues, retiring after the 1966 season. He returned to his hometown of Belleville, Illinois, and operated Bud Zipfel Enterprises.

Goober Zuber
Yes, Goober was his nickname, but William Henry Zuber was much better known as Bill. He pitched for four American League teams, winding up with the Boston Red Sox, which is how he got to pitch two innings in the 1946 World Series. In retirement he owned and operated Bill Zuber's Dugout Restaurant in Homestead, Iowa.